Subject: Re: [pcp] #47: PCP Port Number 5351 or 44323?

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 09:29:16 +0200

As the current editor of the NAT-PMP PCP IWF document I have a formal
concern with references to NAT-PMP expired drafts. It doesn't make
sense to not have at least Stuart's I-D as a normative reference.
BTW I expect the solution to be in the IWF document status...

Thanks

[email-masked]

PS: version 00 is 'Intended status: Standards Track' just because
other IWF & co documents are. It is just a line to change in the
XML source.

---

From: "pcp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 00:39:56 -0000

#47: PCP Port Number 5351 or 44323?

Changes (by dwing@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

Comment:

 resolved.  In pcp-base-08, an appendix describes how NAT-PMP and PCP work
 together on the same port.  This requires no changes to PCP, and no
 changes to NAT-PMP.

 http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-pcp-base-08#appendix-A says:

 {{{
 Appendix A. NAT-PMP Transition

    The Port Control Protocol (PCP) is a successor to the NAT Port
    Mapping Protocol (NAT-PMP), and shares similar semantics, concepts,
    and packet formats.  Because of this NAT-PMP and PCP both use the
    same port, and use the NAT-PMP and PCP's version negotiation
    capabilities to determine which version to use.  This section
    describes how an orderly transition may be achieved.

    A client supporting both NAT-PMP and PCP SHOULD send its request
    using the PCP packet format.  This will be received by a NAT-PMP
    server or a PCP server.  If received by a NAT-PMP server, the
    response will be as indicated by [I-D.cheshire-nat-pmp], which will
    cause the client to downgrade to NAT-PMP and re-send its request in
    NAT-PMP format.  If received by a PCP server, the response will be as
    described by this document and processing continues as expected.

    A PCP server supporting both NAT-PMP and PCP can respond to requests
    in either format.  The first byte of the packet indicates if it is
    NAT-PMP (first byte zero) or PCP (first byte non-zero).

    A PCP-only gateway receiving a NAT-PMP request (identified by the
    first byte being zero) will interpret the request as a version
    mismatch.  Normal PCP processing will emit a PCP response that is
    compatible with NAT-PMP, without any special handling by the PCP
    server.
 }}}

 the IANA Considerations section also asks IANA to relinquish the port
 previously assigned to PCP (44323).

-- 
------------------------------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  cheshire@…                                |        Owner:        
     Type:  defect                                    |       Status:  closed
 Priority:  major                                     |    Milestone:        
Component:  base                                      |      Version:        
 Severity:  -                                         |   Resolution:  fixed 
 Keywords:                                            |  
------------------------------------------------------+---------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/pcp/trac/ticket/47#comment:1>
pcp <http://tools.ietf.org/pcp/>