Subject: [pcp] Ephemeral port range

From: Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 22:58:43 -0700

I believe this is a mistake in the document:

> to ensure that it can get exclusive use of that port it needs to choose a port that is not in the operating system's ephemeral port range.

This statement is not true.

Binding to a port provides exclusive use of that port -- for any port. That is what binding means. Another client attempting to bind the same port will get an "in use" error.

e.g. see <http://www.unixguide.net/network/socketfaq/4.11.shtml>

  SO_REUSEADDR allows your server to bind to an address which is in a
  TIME_WAIT state.  It does not allow more than one server to bind to
  the same address.

Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
* Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Inc.
* www.stuartcheshire.org

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 08:55:31 -0400

> This statement is not true.

+1

The port number is irrelevant.

Simon
-- 
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64/DNS64 open-source        --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server               --> http://numb.viagenie.ca