Subject: [pcp] fields to copy

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 15:49:20 +0200

In draft 14 section 7.2:

   ... Copying
   request fields such as Protocol and Internal Port (for MAP requests)
   and Protocol, Internal Port, Remote Peer IP Address and Port (for
   PEER requests) is important because this is what enables a client to
   identify to which request a given error response pertains.

=> in fact in some cases the external port too, and IMHO in all cases
the Internal address i.e. the THIRD_PARTY option, so I propos:

   ... Copying
   request fields such as Protocol and Internal Port, the THIRD_PARTY
   Option when it is present, and in some cases the External Port (for
   MAP requests) and Protocol, Internal Port, Remote Peer IP Address
   and Port, the THIRD_PARTY Option when it is present, and in some
   cases the External Port (for PEER requests) is important because
   this is what enables a client to identify to which request a given
   error response pertains.

Regards

[email-masked]

PS: BTW please note it is useless to copy the External Address in all cases.

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 16:28:01 -0700

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Francis Dupont
> Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2011 6:49 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [pcp] fields to copy
> 
> In draft 14 section 7.2:
> 
>    ... Copying

I moved it into its own paragraph (rather than being in a paragraph
that appears to pertain only to errors), and it now reads:

        <t>Copying request fields are important because this is what
        enables a client to identify to which request a given
        error response pertains.  For MAP requests, this includes
        the Protocol, Internal Port, Requested External, and (if
        present) the THIRD_PARTY Option.  For PEER requests, this
        includes the Protocol, Internal Port, Remote Peer IP Address,
        and Remote Peer Port.</t>

> PS: BTW please note it is useless to copy the External Address in all

It's useful if the PCP client was trying to do both a NAT request 
and a firewall request -- e.g., it is an IPv6-only device listening 
on a single IPv6 address and port and wants to get both NAT64 
mapped and IPv6 firewall pinhole.  The server still needs to copy it,
even if it's useless in other cases to the PCP client.

-d

> _______________________________________________
> pcp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pcp

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 11:02:47 +0200

In your previous mail you wrote:

   I moved it into its own paragraph (rather than being in a paragraph
   that appears to pertain only to errors),
   
=> IMHO it is important to not attached this to errors where
the External Port at least should be copied to.

   and it now reads:

=> better!

   
=> following this argument the External Address and Port should be
copied in error responses too. Should we add a text?

Regards

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 09:19:59 -0700

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, October 14, 2011 2:03 AM
> To: Dan Wing
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [pcp] fields to copy
> 
> 
>    > PS: BTW please note it is useless to copy the External Address in
> all
>    > cases.
> 

The Requested External Address and Requested External Port should be
copied, yes.  Added text.

-d