Subject: [pcp] out of scope text in base 14

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 11:40:17 +0200

In 7.2 I can read:

   When inspecting packets for translation and forwarding,
   the NAT engine should first consult its list of implicit mappings,
   and if a matching implicit mapping is found, that implicit mapping
   should be used for translating and forwarding the packet.  If no
   matching implicit mapping is found, the NAT engine should then
   consult its list of explicit mappings, and if a matching explicit
   mapping is found, that explicit mapping should be used for
   translating and forwarding the packet.

This is both out of scope of the document (as it is about
the internal behavior of NATs) and IMHO very far from the real
behavior of NATs. Worse, my personal opinion is to *not* recommend
to code NATs this way.
So I strongly suggest to remove this text and to not take
consequences from it.

Regards

[email-masked]

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 15:00:58 -0700

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Francis Dupont
> Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 2:40 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [pcp] out of scope text in base 14
> 
> In 7.2 I can read:
> 

Consensus from you, Reinaldo, and Paul is to remove the text above.  It will
be removed from -15.

There was some text in the introduction of PEER in -14 that similarly 
implied a specific implementation; I softened that text as well.

-d

> _______________________________________________
> pcp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pcp