Subject: [Pearg] Review of draft-irtf-pearg-numeric-ids-generation-01

From: Shivan Sahib <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 22:45:57 -0700

Hi Fernando,

I did a quick review of
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-pearg-numeric-ids-generation-01 (with
no hat on). It would be great to see more reviews though.

I opened a PR addressing some of the nits I found here:
https://github.com/fgont/numeric-ids/pull/1

Generally, I found the analysis comprehensive. One small comment is that
there should probably be a reference for "... some popular operating
systems (notably Microsoft Windows) still fail to implement transport
protocol ephemeral port randomization... " in Section 4.

Also I might just be missing it, but I didn't find any description (through
reference or otherwise) of the negative effects of predictable DNS TxIDs in
either this document or
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-pearg-numeric-ids-history-02.

Thanks for your work on this!

Shivan

---

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 00:45:48 -0300

Hello, Shivan,

> https://github.com/fgont/numeric-ids/pull/1

Thanks a lot for this! FWIW, I've merged it, and rev'ed the document.

> protocol ephemeral port randomization... " in Section 4.

Will do.

> Also I might just be missing it, but I didn't find any description 
> (through reference or otherwise) of the negative effects of predictable 
> DNS TxIDs in either this document or 

We had mid-way a whole section on the DNS TxID, although I wasn't sure 
it would add much.

I'll do this, I'll give it a shot at having a similar timeline ofr the 
TxID. If I feel it's useful, I'll incorporate it. Otherwise, at the very 
least we'll provide some references/pointers for the implications of 
predictable TxIDs.

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,
-- 
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks
e-mail: [email-masked]
PGP Fingerprint: 6666 31C6 D484 63B2 8FB1 E3C4 AE25 0D55 1D4E 7492