Subject: [PEPPERMINT] VERSION 00 PEPPERMINT BOF AGENDA

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 18:26:36 -0500

COMMENTS PLEASE ESPECIALLY ON THE PROPOSED CHARTER

If anyone wants to present anyting let me or Tom know.

**********************************

IETF 70 PEPPERMINT BOF Agenda

PEPPERMINT Session 1 (1 hour)
Thursday, Afternoon Session II 1510-1610 Room Name: Salon 2

Chair(s):

Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Tom Creighton  <[email-masked]>

RAI Director(s):

Jon Peterson [email-masked]
Cullen Jennings [email-masked]

Agenda Bashing. 

Presentation of the proposed charter. <Shockey> 10 min

1. Review of existing provisioning protocols in IETF especially RFC 4114
(S.Hollenbeck)

2. Review of peppermint problem statement ( David Schwartz )  ID
forthcoming.

General Discussion

The Usual Questions.

A. Is this a problem that the IETF needs to work on?

B. Are people willing to work on this problem?

************

Peppermint BOF

Provisioning Extensions in Peering Registries for Multimedia
Interconnection.

Mailing Lists: 

  [email-masked]

General information about the mailing list is at:

  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/peppermint

Temporary Area Directorate: Real Time Applications (RAI)

Ultimate Area Directorate: TBD

BOF Purpose.

The ENUM and SPEERMINT working groups are working on various aspects of
Multi Media Interconnection. ENUM is specifically chartered to develop
protocols that involve the translation of E.164 numbers to URI's. 
 
SPEERMINT has been chartered to develop best current practices among
real-time application service providers and how such services interconnect
across domain boundaries.

It is clear from discussions in both working groups that Multi-Media
Interconnection will require various forms of data to be exchanged among
administrative domains outside the normal scope of establishing various
forms of a SIP session.

Such data exchanges might be provisioning of various forms of Registries
containing mappings of phone numbers to URI, policies surrounding the
admission to points of network interconnection,  trunking data and the
distribution of Registry data to various types of databases. 

Provisioning may include PBX to service provider data exchanges as well.

The purpose of the BOF is to determine the need and scope for such data
exchanges, what existing protocols need to be adapted to meet those needs
and the appropriate schema and queries are needed to facilitate such
exchanges.

The IETF has in the past done significant work on data exchanges among
various administrative entities. In particular the PROVREG working group
developed various schema and query mechanisms to facilitate the exchange of
data among domain name registries and registrars.

The ENUM Working group has adapted PROVREG working group protocols to
develop RFC 4114, which facilitates the provisioning of ENUM data in the DNS
tree.  However, there has been little adoption of RFC 4114, and many of the
participants of the SPEERMINT working group require both data models and
protocol features not found in RFC 4114.

The proposed PEPPERMINT working group will build upon the knowledge gained
from those efforts, and the intent of this proposed working group is to find
a provisioning solution for peering as defined by SPEERMINT. The final work
product(s) from this working group will be based upon XML.
   
Additionally, bias will be given to re-using either EPP, HTTP/REST,
HTTP/XML-RPC, or HTTP/SOAP.

Proposed Deliverables

Requirements for PEPPERMINT data exchanges.

Provisioning of PEPPERMINT data registries.

Provisioning of PEPPERMINT/ENUM data caches.

Richard Shockey
Director, Member of the Technical Staff
NeuStar
46000 Center Oak Plaza - Sterling, VA 20166
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 
PSTN Mobile: +1 703.593.2683
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> 
<mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>

_______________________________________________
PEPPERMINT mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/peppermint

---

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:37:34 -0500

I think we can have a short presentation on this .very short since we only
have 1 hour.

  _____  

From: Joonhyung Lim [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2007 12:47 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [PEPPERMINT] VERSION 00 PEPPERMINT BOF AGENDA

Dear Richard

I'm really happy to comment on this BOF that I've been waiting for, since I
noticed some needs from industries through KR infrastructure ENUM trial in
2006. 

About a charter, IMHO, I think it would be better adding a example on
paragraph below, to clarify differences between 4114 and new one. 

>However, there has been little adoption of RFC 4114, and many of the
>protocol features not found in RFC 4114."

"However, there has been little adoption of RFC 4114, and many of the
participants of the SPEERMINT working group require both data models and
protocol features not found in RFC 4114, such as provisioning number prefix
or number blocks"

Actually, this example also mentioned in "PEPPERMINT Problem Statement"
draft. 

And if there is ok, I might have short presentation about provisioning issue
when we used 4114 during KR ENUM trial in 2006. It mostly leans to comments
from several players such as KR VSPs, PSTN carriers, and etc.

Thanks.

Joonhyung Lim, NIDA

-------------------------------------------------------------

Chair(s):

Richard Shockey <richard.shockey at neustar.biz>
Tom Creighton  <tom_creighton at cable.comcast.com>

RAI Director(s):

Jon Peterson jon.peterson at neustar.biz
Cullen Jennings fluffy at cisco.com

Agenda Bashing. 

General Discussion

The Usual Questions.

************

Peppermint BOF

Mailing Lists: 

  peppermint at ietf.org

BOF Purpose.

   

Proposed Deliverables

Richard Shockey