Subject: [PEPPERMINT] Agenda as of 14 November 2007

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 14:18:05 -0500

IETF 70 PEPPERMINT BOF Agenda

PEPPERMINT Session 1 (1 hour)
Thursday, Afternoon Session II 1510-1610 Room Name: Salon 2

Chair(s):

Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Tom Creighton  <[email-masked]>

RAI Director(s):

Jon Peterson [email-masked]
Cullen Jennings [email-masked]

Agenda Bashing. 

Presentation of the proposed charter. <Shockey> 10 min

1. Review of peppermint problem statement ( David Schwartz )

	Title		: Managing Client Voice Peering Provisioning
	Author(s)	: D. Schwartz, et al.
	Filename	:
draft-schwartz-speermint-provisioning-problem-00.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 2007-11-13
	
   This document describes the type of data provisioned among Voice
   Service Providers.  This is in support of the service provider
   peering as defined by the Speermint WG.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-schwartz-speermint-provisioning-pr
oblem-00.txt

2. Review of existing provisioning protocols in IETF especially RFC 4114
(S.Hollenbeck)

3. 4114 Experiences Joonhyung Lim [mailto:[email-masked]] 

General Discussion

The Usual Questions.

A. Is this a problem that the IETF needs to work on?

B. Who wants to work on this problem.

************

Peppermint BOF

Provisioning Extensions in Peering Registries for Multimedia
Interconnection.

Mailing Lists: 

  [email-masked]

General information about the mailing list is at:

  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/peppermint

Temporary Area Directorate: Real Time Applications (RAI)

Ultimate Area Directorate: TBD

BOF Purpose.

The ENUM and SPEERMINT working groups are working on various aspects of
Multi Media Interconnection. ENUM is specifically chartered to develop
protocols that involve the translation of E.164 numbers to URI's. 
 
SPEERMINT has been chartered to develop best current practices among
real-time application service providers and how such services interconnect
across domain boundaries.

It is clear from discussions in both working groups that Multi-Media
Interconnection will require various forms of data to be exchanged among
administrative domains outside the normal scope of establishing various
forms of a SIP session.

Such data exchanges might be provisioning of various forms of Registries
containing mappings of phone numbers to URI, policies surrounding the
admission to points of network interconnection,  trunking data and the
distribution of Registry data to various types of databases. 

Provisioning may include PBX to service provider data exchanges as well.

The purpose of the BOF is to determine the need and scope for such data
exchanges, what existing protocols need to be adapted to meet those needs
and the appropriate schema and queries are needed to facilitate such
exchanges.

The IETF has in the past done significant work on data exchanges among
various administrative entities. In particular the PROVREG working group
developed various schema and query mechanisms to facilitate the exchange of
data among domain name registries and registrars.

The ENUM Working group has adapted PROVREG working group protocols to
develop RFC 4114, which facilitates the provisioning of ENUM data in the DNS
tree.  However, there has been little adoption of RFC 4114, and many of the
participants of the SPEERMINT working group require both data models and
protocol features not found in RFC 4114.

The proposed PEPPERMINT working group will build upon the knowledge gained
from those efforts, and the intent of this proposed working group is to find
a provisioning solution for peering as defined by SPEERMINT. The final work
product(s) from this working group will be based upon XML.
   
Additionally, bias will be given to re-using either EPP, HTTP/REST,
HTTP/XML-RPC, or HTTP/SOAP.

Proposed Deliverables

Richard Shockey
Director, Member of the Technical Staff
NeuStar
46000 Center Oak Plaza - Sterling, VA 20166
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 
PSTN Mobile: +1 703.593.2683
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> 
<mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>

_______________________________________________
PEPPERMINT mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/peppermint