Subject: Re: [PEPPERMINT] PEPPERMINT Digest, Vol 9, Issue 21

From: "Cartwright, Kenneth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 11:36:02 -0400

Hi Daryl,

Looks good.  I've offered some possible modifications for consideration.
They are in-line and delimited by ">>>>KJCStart" and ">>>>KJCEnd".

Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2008 4:10 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: PEPPERMINT Digest, Vol 9, Issue 21

Send PEPPERMINT mailing list submissions to
	[email-masked]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/peppermint
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	[email-masked]

You can reach the person managing the list at
	[email-masked]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than
"Re: Contents of PEPPERMINT digest..."

Today's Topics:

   1.   Proposed Updated Charter (Daryl Malas)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:10:20 -0600
From: "Daryl Malas" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [PEPPERMINT]  Proposed Updated Charter
To: <[email-masked]>
Message-ID:
	<[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="us-ascii"

All,

I was asked to re-write the charter using agreed upon SPEERMINT WG
defined terms.  I also added/changed a few minor suggested details.  The
update is below:

------------------------------------------
Existing charter:

PROPOSED CHARTER FOR PEPPERMINT

The IETF has been working on various aspects of session-based Multimedia
Interconnection among administrative domains. In addition, the IETF has
done significant work on data exchanges among various network elements.

ENUM is specifically chartered to develop protocols that involve the
translation of E.164 numbers to URI's.
 
SPEERMINT has been chartered to develop best current practices among
real-time application service providers and how such services
interconnect across administrative boundaries.

The PEPPERMINT work group is chartered to define what data needs to be
exchanged among Multimedia administrative domains, and how that data
should be structured provisioned and propagated. These protocols would
be outside the normal scope of establishing various forms of a SIP
session. These administrative domains are of any practical size and
could be service providers or enterprise SIP proxy's, such as PBX's.

Data exchanges to facilitate session-based Multimedia Interconnection
are typically between various Client User Agents and Registries or
bilateral or multilateral Registry to Registry.  Data exchanges could
include bulk data as well as real time updates. Typical data include
mappings of phone numbers to URIs, policies surrounding admission to
various points of network interconnection and various types of trunk
data.  In addition, there is a specific need for redistribution of such
Registry data to various types of network databases.  

The working group will draw upon expert advice and ongoing consultation
from the ENUM, SPEERMINT and PROVREG working groups. The working group
may also reuse elements of RFC 4114, if possible.

The final work product(s) from this working group will utilize and be
based on XML documents and XML document exchanges.
-------------------------------------
New revision:

PROPOSED CHARTER FOR PEPPERMINT

The IETF has been working on various aspects of session-based Multimedia
peering among SIP Service Providers (SSPs), entities that provide
session services utilizing SIP signaling to their customers. In
addition, the IETF has done significant work on data exchanges among
various network elements. The following working groups' work provides
the underlying context for much of the intended work within this
charter:

>>>>KJCStart
You may consider altering the wording of the above sentence to read as
follows:  The ENUM and SPEERMINT working groups provide the underlying
context for much of the intended work that the SPEERMINT working group
will undertake.
>>>>KJCEnd

ENUM, which is specifically chartered to develop protocols that involve
the translation of E.164 numbers to URIs.
 
SPEERMINT, which has been chartered to develop requirements and best
current practices among real-time application SSPs and how such services
may interconnect across administrative boundaries.

>>>>KJCStart
You may consider altering the wording of the above two sentences to read
as follows:  The ENUM working group is specifically chartered to develop
protocols that involve the translation of E.164 numbers to URIs.  While
the SPEERMINT working group has been chartered to develop requirements
and best current practices among real-time application SSPs and to
describe how such services may best interconnect across administrative
boundaries.  
>>>>KJCEnd

This work will provide details of how Session Establishment Data (SED)
is collected and what this data is comprised of, the use of this data to
properly identify an optimal path to the destination user agent (UA),
and the secure manners in which this and the SIP session data is
exchanged between all of the peering functions.  

>>>>KJCStart
In the above sentences when you say "this work" I believe you are
referring to the work of SPEERMINT, as apposed to the work of SPEERMINT.
So you may consider this tweaked version of the two sentences above:
More specifically, SPEERMINT will provide details of how Session
Establishment Data (SED) is collected, what comprises SED, how SED
should be used to properly identify an optimal path to a destination
user agent (UA), and the secure manners in which SED and the SIP session
data is exchanged between the peering functions.
>>>>KJCEnd

It is also recognizes peering relationships become more complex as
multiple peers are added to a common relationship, these complex aspects
and requirements of multiple, yet common peering relationships are
defined with the contexts of a peering Federation.

>>>>KJCStart
While I understand what you are saying in the above sentence, I'm not
certain of your intent in adding it here, as a sentence that rides on
the end of your synopsis of the role of the SPEERMINT working group.
Imho, this sentence may be un-necessary in this document.  You may
consider removing it, recognizing that this idea is/willBe addressed and
fleshed out in a requirements document or some other document that can
do it justice.
>>>>KJCEnd

The PEPPERMINT working group is chartered to define what data needs to
be exchanged among Multimedia administrative domains, and how that data
should be structured, provisioned, and propagated. These protocols would
be outside the normal scope of establishing various forms of a SIP
session. These administrative domains are of any practical size and
could be any type of SSP, such as recognized telephony carriers,
enterprises, end-user groups, and Federations.  Data exchanges to
facilitate session-based Multimedia Interconnection are typically
between various bilateral or multilateral client User Agents and related
Registries.  Data exchanges could include bulk data and/or real time
updates. Typical data includes mappings of phone numbers to URIs,
policies surrounding admission to various points of network
interconnection, and various types of interconnect data.  In addition,
there is a specific need for the exchange of such data between the
Registry and various types of network databases (e.g. Local Number
Portability (LNP), Calling Name (CNAM), etc.).

>>>>KJCStart
You may consider rewording the above as follows:  The PEPPERMINT working
group is chartered with a scope that is orthogonal to SPEERMINT and
ENUM.  The work tasks within the scope of PEPPERMINT will be designed to
build from the work of SPEERMINT and ENUM to identify and define the
data structures and provisioning protocol(s) that facilitate the
provisioning data exchanges among Multimedia administrative domains.
These administrative domains may be of any practical size and could be
any type of SSP, such as recognized telephony carriers, enterprises,
end-user groups, or Federations.  Data exchanges among these
administrative domains may be bi-lateral or multi-lateral in nature, and
could include bulk updates and/or more granular real-time updates.
Typical data includes the mapping of phone numbers to URIs, policies
surrounding admission to various points of network interconnection, and
various other types of interconnect data.  In addition, there is a
specific need for the exchange of such data between the Registry and
various types of network databases (e.g. Local Number Portability (LNP),
Calling Name (CNAM), etc.).
>>>>KJCEnd

The working group will draw upon expert advice and on-going consultation
from the ENUM and SPEERMINT  working groups, and also the XML
Directorate. The working group will consider the reuse of elements of
RFC 4114, if possible.

The final work product(s) from this working group will utilize and be
based on XML documents and XML document exchanges.

>>>KJCStart
During the previous IETF in Vancouver, on the mailing list, and at the
most recent IETF in Phily there were opinions expressed that attempting
to pre-determine the list of candidate data structures and protocols was
probably un-necessary for the purposes of the charter and an open ended
activity.  I also feel that just listing the possible candidates in the
charter does not best capture the intended goal, which is to facilitate
the requirements and progress of the working group.  While I don't feel
that this is a major issue, I am of this opinion.  So you may consider
that the above few sentences could be re-worded as follows, which I
think better states the goal while not attempting to pre-determine the
best list of candidates that may meet the goal:  The working group will
draw upon expert advice and on-going consultation from the ENUM and
SPEERMINT working groups.  The working group will also consider reusing
appropriate pre-existing data structures, protocols, and technologies
that are determined to meet the requirements of and facilitate the
progress of the working group.
>>>>KJCEnd

---------------------------------------

Thanks...--Daryl

------------------------------

_______________________________________________
PEPPERMINT mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/peppermint

End of PEPPERMINT Digest, Vol 9, Issue 21
*****************************************
_______________________________________________
PEPPERMINT mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/peppermint