Subject: Re: [PEPPERMINT] PEPPERMINT Digest, Vol 9, Issue 17

From: "Cartwright, Kenneth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 14:33:02 -0400

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the feedback.  After re-reading the sections of the document
that your points relate to, I think your question is a good one and the
language in the document on this subject could stand some improvement in
clarity.  But the document and the example that you refer to are
actually correct, although not quite clear.  The lack of clarity can
create confusion between the ClientID portion of the ObjectId property
and the EnterpriseID property.

The ClientID portion of the ObjectID is an identifier that represents
the "operational entity/source" responsible of the object in question
(iow, the specific ESPP client) with the goal of creating uniqueness of
the ObjectID property.  This ClientID leverages the IANA Enterprise ID
as the source of unique client IDs (which is then suffixed with a 2
digit identifier to allow for the occasion where there may be multiple
ESPP clients operated by a single organization).

The EnterpriseID property, on the other hand, is an identifier that
represents the "business entity/source" that is responsible for the
object in question.  The Enterprise ID also leverages the IANA
Enterprise ID as the source of unique identifiers.

So, based on the above, it may hopefully be clear now why these two
values are different in the example you refer to.  ....taken an action
to improve the language in the document.

Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2008 12:50 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: PEPPERMINT Digest, Vol 9, Issue 17

Send PEPPERMINT mailing list submissions to
	[email-masked]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/peppermint
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	[email-masked]

You can reach the person managing the list at
	[email-masked]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of PEPPERMINT digest..."

Today's Topics:

   1.  ESPP Enterprise and Object IDs (Robert H. Walter)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:47:15 -0400
From: "Robert H. Walter" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [PEPPERMINT] ESPP Enterprise and Object IDs
To: "Peppermint" <[email-masked]>
Message-ID: <00b901c88529$e4b1ccb0$ae156610$@com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Hello,

This email discusses the topic of ESPP Enterprise and Object
Identifiers.
The I-D draft-mule-peppermint-espp-protocol-01.txt states in section 4.1
the
following:

   The globally unique name space for the assignment of an Enterprise ID
is
the

   open IANA Private Enterprise Number registry,
<http://www.iana.org/assignments/enterprise-numbers>.

This is great!  The next section of the draft indicates that the IANA
Private Enterprise Number registry is a only a candidate space. My
assumption is that the draft needs to be scrubbed and the "candidate"
remark
removed.

If I interpret the section on ID [Page 13] correctly, an ID is a
globally
unique 64-bit unsigned integer identifier that is encoded with an 8
digit
ESPP client identifier and a 12 digit object identifier that is unique
to
that ESPP client.  Additionally, the ESPP client identifier is further
broken down into a  1-6 digit Enterprise ID (EID) followed by a 2 digit
client suffix.   In earlier PacketCable revisions of the document, the
ID
was simply a sequence number that was relative to the Enterprise ID.
This
changed along the way to be globally unique identifier that includes the
EID, however, the EID was not removed from the protocol.  What is the
intent
of EID now that the ID encodes the EID, isn't it simply redundant?
Finally,
the I couldn't find an example in the draft where the <oId> and <eId>
exhibited the documented behavior.  For example in figure 12 [Page 25]
the
<oId> and <eId> are:

        <oId>7845601000012345631</oId>
        <eId>76544</eId>

I would expect them to be:

        <oId>7654401000012345631</oId>
        <eId>76544</eId>

Are the examples incorrect and need to be scrubbed, or is my
understanding
broken?

Best Regards,

Bob

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://www.ietf.org/pipermail/peppermint/attachments/20080313/bda5c91b/a
ttachment.htm 

------------------------------

_______________________________________________
PEPPERMINT mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/peppermint

End of PEPPERMINT Digest, Vol 9, Issue 17
*****************************************
_______________________________________________
PEPPERMINT mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/peppermint

---

From: "Robert H. Walter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 14:55:45 -0400

Hi Ken,

Good to hear from you and thanks for the prompt response! I see the
distinction... Might a real world example be?

Enterprise ID = Comcast;
Enterprise ID encoded in Client ID encoded Object ID = VeriSign

Thanks,

-RHW

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Cartwright, Kenneth
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2008 2:33 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [PEPPERMINT] PEPPERMINT Digest, Vol 9, Issue 17

Hi Bob,

Ken

-----Original Message-----

Today's Topics:

Message: 1

Hello,

Best Regards,

Bob