Subject: [PEPPERMINT] ESPP Enterprise and Object IDs

From: "Robert H. Walter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:47:15 -0400

Hello,

This email discusses the topic of ESPP Enterprise and Object Identifiers.
The I-D draft-mule-peppermint-espp-protocol-01.txt states in section 4.1 the
following:

   The globally unique name space for the assignment of an Enterprise ID is
the

   open IANA Private Enterprise Number registry,
<http://www.iana.org/assignments/enterprise-numbers>.

This is great!  The next section of the draft indicates that the IANA
Private Enterprise Number registry is a only a candidate space. My
assumption is that the draft needs to be scrubbed and the "candidate" remark
removed.

If I interpret the section on ID [Page 13] correctly, an ID is a globally
unique 64-bit unsigned integer identifier that is encoded with an 8 digit
ESPP client identifier and a 12 digit object identifier that is unique to
that ESPP client.  Additionally, the ESPP client identifier is further
broken down into a  1-6 digit Enterprise ID (EID) followed by a 2 digit
client suffix.   In earlier PacketCable revisions of the document, the ID
was simply a sequence number that was relative to the Enterprise ID.  This
changed along the way to be globally unique identifier that includes the
EID, however, the EID was not removed from the protocol.  What is the intent
of EID now that the ID encodes the EID, isn't it simply redundant?  Finally,
the I couldn't find an example in the draft where the <oId> and <eId>
exhibited the documented behavior.  For example in figure 12 [Page 25] the
<oId> and <eId> are:

        <oId>7845601000012345631</oId>
        <eId>76544</eId>

I would expect them to be:

        <oId>7654401000012345631</oId>
        <eId>76544</eId>

Are the examples incorrect and need to be scrubbed, or is my understanding
broken?

Best Regards,

Bob

_______________________________________________
PEPPERMINT mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/peppermint