Subject: [Perc] Closing of PERC WG

From: Suhas Nandakumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 23:21:22 -0700

Hello All,

We have finally arrived. The PERC working group is officially closing -
with the final document (ietf-perc-dtls-tunnel)  having completed AUTH48 ,
the working group is closing.

The mailing list shall close as well and any further discussions on the
related topics will be directed to the ART list.

At IETF 93 in Prague, we decided  to take on a journey to protect the end
to end confidentiality of media for "SRTP based conferencing use-cases" and
not let middleboxes meddle with the user's media.

PERC WG was the first of its kind that kick started work on end to end
privacy for media in the context of conferencing.

 We learned a lot through this process as part of  building such systems:
   -  understand and define end to end and hop by hop security,
   -  techniques like double encryption in SRTP [RFC8723, RFC8870]
    - key setup techniques for establishing keys scoped for e2e/hbh [
perc-dtls-tunnel]
   -  and an overall framework to define the architectural ideas for the
same. [RFC8871]

We did all the above over ~1000 mail messages, over 7 ietf meetings and
several design sessions.

On behalf of all the chairs and area directors who were part of the
journey, for your contributions , whether as document author, minute taker,
jabber scribe, interim host, comment maker or poser of questions -  who
believed in the intent and importance of having end to end security - many
thanks,

Cheers
Suhas