Subject: End of last call on LTN

From: "Falk, Aaron" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 18:22:51 -0400

All-

While there has been some spirited -- & valuable -- discussion on topics
raised in the LTN draft on this mailing list, the LTN doc will not be
incorporating it. There was agreement (while discussing the PILC charter) to
move LTN to Informational RFC status as quickly as possible and incorporate
comments into future PILC documents (e.g., ERROR, LINK, SLOW, APATH, PEP).
This decision was made because LTN focused on a specific environment
(wireless WANs) and we decided that it was better idea to focus on link
characteristics. Focusing on the characteristic rather than the specific
physical link enables us to broaden our discussion beyond a single community
of interest and draw in other communities who may share similar performance
problems or have different perspectives on the nature of the problem. 

LTN has had a two week 'last call' on PILC and there has been no discussion
of specific changes to the doc. As working group chair, I propose forwarding
it to the IESG and continuing forward progress. The results of the current
discussion will be summarized and included in future drafts (ERROR, for
example). 

Comments?

---aaron

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Falk, Aaron [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 1999 4:36 PM
> To: [email-masked]'
> Cc: 'Spencer Dawkins'; 'Gabriel Montenegro'; [email-masked]';
> [email-masked]'; [email-masked]'
> Subject: Last call on LTN
> 
> 
> The LTN draft spawned the this working group. It's time to 
> close discussion
> on this draft and move on to the other working group docs. Continued
> discussion of the issues LTN raises will be handled in other 
> working group
> documents. So it's time for working group last call after which this
> document will be going to the IESG for consideration as an 
> Informational
> RFC. 
> 
> If you haven't read it, you can find it here:
> 
> http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-montenegro-pilc-ltn-02.txt
> 
> --aaron