Subject: Application Traffic characteristic over wireless

From: Huan Pham <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 15:04:18 +1000

Hi everyone,

According to IntServ/RSVP  model,  users (applications) need to
indentify their traffic characteristics such as average bitrate, maximum
bitrate, burst size in order to do resource reservation.

Let's suppose that an application such as Internet Phone Call at host A
wouldlike to communicate with host D through an IntServ network. Link
between host A and Router B is Wireless (any kind of LMDS, MMDS or
Wireless LAN):

host A ........ Router B ------IntServ--------router C ---------- host D

I think that wireless link (with error, and reliable link mechanism) may
have some influence on the original traffic especially burst size. As a
result of it, different resource (capacity and memory in the IntServ
region) need to be reserved for that session compared to the _same_
request for the _same service_  from an user using wireline link. (that
sound unusual but interesting to me!!!).

I am considering to investigate the implication of reliable link layer
on application traffic characteristics. Any pointer to relevant
publications on this issue, or comments/suggestion about this question
are be very appreciated.

Thanks