Subject: draft-ietf-pilc-link-design-04.txt submitted

From: Phil Karn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 13:38:38 -0800 (PST)

I have just submitted the latest version of the LINK document to
[email-masked]. It's also up on my website as

http://people.qualcomm.com/karn/pilc.txt

The major changes in this version:

1. Fixed erroneous reference to the minimum MTU allowed in IP (thanks
to Kevin Lahey for spotting this one).

2. Reworked the QoS section largely as I discussed on the list the
other day. I removed the obsolete text about the old TOS bits,
inserted some new explanatory text, and included the latter part of
Dan Grossman's suggested text (the part with the list of actual
recommendations to the subnetwork designers).

3. Wrote a new section on Fairness vs Performance.

4. Wrote a new section on Delay Characteristics.

5. Reworked the section on Packet Reordering to cite the
Bennett/Partridge/Shectman paper, and to recommend that subnetwork
packet reordering should be avoided unless doing so impairs
performance, latency and/or reliability.

6. Wrote a new section on Multicasting.

7. Wrote a new section on Routing.

8. Wrote a new section on Security.

Although the deadline for formal submissions is in about 20 minutes,
comments are still welcome; I'll keep updating the copy on my website.

Phil