Subject: TCP Performance Implications of Network Asymmetry

From: Dr G Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 18:47:37 +0000

We are helping to produce a new version of the asymmetry draft.
The current draft is:
 
draft-ietf-pilc-asym-02.txt
http://www.research.microsoft.com/~padmanab/papers/draft-ietf-pilc-asym-02.txt

The first step in doing this is to revise the text to address 
a number of concerns from other people. Specifically, to identify 
situations in which asymmetry may arise and known systems that
have used modifications to mitigate the impact of asymmetry.  

If you operate/use a network with a bandwidth asymmetry 
(especially if greater than 80:1 
forward-transfer-speed:return-ACK-transfer-speed)
could you perhaps help by providing answers to the following 
questions?

	1) What is the bandwidth asymmetry of your system? 

	2) What technologies are used for the forward and return directions?
	
	3) Do you currently use any mechanism to mitigate the impact 
	of asymmetry.
 
	If so which technique to use ? 
	e.g.  (i) VJ Header Compression
		(ii) ACK modification schemes (ACK Filtering/Suppression)
		(iii) PEPs or application proxies

Gorry Fairhurst

------------------------------
http://www.erg.abdn.ac.uk/users/gorry