Subject: [pilc] I-D ACTION:draft-williams-l2-probstmt-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 06:40:04 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Problem Statement for Link-layer Triggers work
	Author(s)	: C. Williams, A. Yegin, J. Kempf
	Filename	: draft-williams-l2-probstmt-00.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 26-Jun-02
	
Much discussion has resulted over the last few years regarding
L2 triggers in wired and wireless scenarios. Recent wireless goals 
have been to collect requirements from various IETF related working 
groups for L2 triggers in wireless environments.  For example, the
Mobile IP and SeaMoby working groups require such L2 information
to optimize handoff. It was the hope that the output of such an 
effort would be used to design an API or protocol if desired.  
A requirements draft [REQ] discusses requirements from the following 
FMIPv6, low latency MIPv4, and SeaMoby context transfer work.  
Discussion over the last several months in the PILC working group 
raises concerns about a generic L2 trigger framework independent if the 
it is for wired-line or wireless application.  The goal of this document 
is to provide a clear problem statement of L2 triggers. Discussion has 
also been documented in this problem statement regarding special needs 
of the wireless application.  For example, the method for communicating
L2 information to L3 may be better suited for the wire-lined case (e.g.,
MIB) but not for the wireless scenario. Finally, recommendations on 
where to go with the L2 trigger area in IETF has been provided. This
draft is preliminary.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-williams-l2-probstmt-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-williams-l2-probstmt-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-williams-l2-probstmt-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.