Subject: [pilc] OT - CCSDS Proximity-1 Help Req'd

From: "Long, Darren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:43:52 -0000

Hi,

Sorry for being a bit off topic, but wondered if anyone can provide a bit of
guidance w.r.t. the CCSDS Proximity-1 Link Protocol.  I can't think of
anywhere else to ask.

The specification for the Proximity-1 Physical Layer (211.1-B.1) on Page
3.9, section 3.5.1 "Delivered Bit/Symbol Stream Error Rate mentions links
where Reed Solomon coding in the data-link layer.  So far (and I admit that
I haven't read every word of the Proximity-1 documents) I can't find any
reference to use of an RS code in any of the three newly restructured
documents.

I am interested in using an off-the-shelf protocol for a narrow band
half-duplex ground-to-air UHF data-link and have been wondering about
adopting elements of Proximity-1.  Currently I'm in favour of a concatenated
RCPC,RS combination, similar to that described by TM Sync & Coding, for both
uplink and downlink ), but Proximity-1 only seems to support the
convolutional codes.

Obviously I don't need to be compliant with the standard, and can tailor as
needed, I'm just curious about the reference to the RS code and wonder if it
could be an error.

If responding direct, and not via the list, please send to both of my email
addresses.

[email-masked]
[email-masked]

Thanks for any help you can give...

Darren Long

This e-mail is intended solely for the above mentioned recipient and it may
contain confidential or privileged information. If you have received it
in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and delete the email.
You must not copy, distribute, disclose or take any action in reliance on
it.

Whilst every reasonable precaution has been taken, Thales Optronics can
not accept liability for any damage which you sustain as a result of
software
viruses that may be contained in, or attached to this email.
--------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
pilc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pilc
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/pilc-charter.html
http://pilc.grc.nasa.gov/