Subject: Question on "draft-ietf-pim-ipv6-00.txt"

From: Per Geil <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 14:07:36 +0200

Hi,

In section 4.4 "Join/Prune, Graft, and Graft-Ack Messages" of
draft-ietf-pim-ipv6-00.txt it states:

   In the transmission of a Join/Prune Message, a router sets the IPv6
   destination address to the All-PIM-Routers multicast address.  The
   IPv6 source address is set to the link local address of the interface

   on which the message is forwarded.  The Upstream Neighbor Address
   field is set to the link local address of the next hop router, which
   is obtained from the RPF lookup.

The last statement says that the link local address of the next hop
router is obtained from the RPF lookup.
I can get the global address of the next hop router but, depending on
which unicast routing protocol I am using, I cannot always get the link
local address of the next hop router.
Would it be possible to obtain the link local address in some other way,
or does this mean that PIM for IPv6 requires certain unicast routing
protocols ?

Thanks,

Per Geil                     System Developer
Telebit Communications A/S   Tel: +45 86 28 81 76
Fabrikvej 11                 Fax: +45 86 28 81 86
DK-8260 Viby J               e-mail: [email-masked]
Denmark                      URL: http://www.tbit.dk