Subject: Q on Group to RP mapping

From: Desikan Saravanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 13:57:01 -0700

Hi All,

This is regarding how to select an RP from the RP-set for a given group G.

The spec. says 
step1)to pick the subset of RP-set where each C-RP's group prefix covers G
step2)apply the hash functions to all those C-RPs and select the RP (after
resolving any conflicts)

when picking up the subset of RP-set, it does not say anything about the
group mask length associated with each C-RP's advertisement.
consider that we have 
RP_A advertising 230.0.0.0/8
RP_B advertising 230.10.0.0/16
RP_C advertising 230.10.20.0/24
RP_D advertising 230.10.20.0/24

and say we need to find RP for G=230.10.20.30

As per the spec., we pick up RP_A, RP_B, RP_C and RP_D and evaluate their
hash values and say we pick RP_B.

Should it not be more apt to pick up only RP_C and RP_D to form the subset,
since they have the longest match?

Thanks
Des