Subject: More question on RP Holdtime

From: Swee Loke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 15:55:26 -0400

Hi,

Andrew raised a good question.  The draft doesn't seem to specify the
usage 
of RP holdtime for non-BSR.  In order to allow fragmented BSR message to 
work properly, I think some sort of holdtime/timeout for the Group/RP
set 
is required. We probably should specify this in the draft.

Based on the draft, if an RP is not included in the new BSR message's 
RP-set, it is concluded (by the non-BSR) not reachable (section 3.6.3).

When a router receives the first fragment of a fragmented BSR message, 
should it time out all the G/RP-sets that are NOT included in the first 
fragment?
            
The BSR message doesn't indicate if a BSR message is fragmented, so the 
router doesn't know if this is all, or more fragments are coming. (The 
fragment tag is only used to identify different BSR messages).

If we time out everything that is NOT included in a BSR message, then
when 
a bsr message is fragmented, we are always timing out things too soon -
before 
they have a chance to be refreshed. 

If we don't timeout everything right away, what should the holdtime be?
I 
guess the RP holdtime can be used here. :-)

Thanks,
swee