Subject: pimd-2.1.0-alpha28 on solaris 2.6

From: "Eric S. Johnson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 07:48:49 -0400

Is this supposed to work? pimd-2.1.0-alpha28 on solaris 5.6?

netinet/ip_mroute.h on sol5.[67] doesn't define VIFF_REGISTER.
Things seem to go down hill from there... 

Readme says Solaris-5.5.1 and 5.6 are "Supported Platforms".

Code seems to not care much about any sunos version >= 5.6. It seems to 
treat them all the same. Do I need special patches? I didn't see them
listed? Don't see anything appropriate from playground.sun.com...

Any ideas or help (even if as simple as "give up it won't work" ;)
would be appriciated.

E

---

From: Pavlin Ivanov Radoslavov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 06:10:06 -0700

> Is this supposed to work? pimd-2.1.0-alpha28 on solaris 5.6?

A significant amount of its development was done on Solaris 5.5.1
and 5.6 which had their kernel modified with PIM support, and at
that time it was working.
However, the necessary PIM kernel patches for 5.5.1 and 5.6 were
never released to the public.
I thought it was mentioned in the README, but now I see it is not
there. :(

> Any ideas or help (even if as simple as "give up it won't work" ;)

Solaris 8 has PIM support in the kernel. However, I haven't tested
it, and don't know whether it really works with pimd. If you end up
testing it with Solaris 8, please let me know about the result.

Regards,
Pavlin