Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-hummel-pim-so-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 06:48:44 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Source Only Multicast
	Author(s)	: H. Hummel
	Filename	: draft-hummel-pim-so-00.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 27-Jun-00
	
This draft addresses several aspects of multicast services like IP-
based TV but also like n-party conferences.  It breaks with
traditional concepts:
An IP-based TV-broadcast's delivery tree shall be identified by the
source address S and a Multicast-ID provided by S.  The same shall
apply to each from n well correlated point-to(n-1)point delivery
trees of a small n-party conference.  Consequently, a TV-host may
send out more than one program and any user-host may participate in
more than one conference.  Mapping to a globally unique multicast
group address G is not needed, would be complex, and does not work.
QoS/Policy-Routing, the degree of state (Layer-3, Layer-3 plus MPLS-
label, or no state), and several more aspects need  to be respected
HOMOGENEOUSLY all over the entire delivery tree. This cannot be
provided by reverse path setup while depending on each receiver's
guesses. Therefore, the tree (i.e. an initial tree as well as
additional branches at a later time) must be established in
downstream direction.
No RP- and no BSR-routers are required.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hummel-pim-so-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-hummel-pim-so-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-hummel-pim-so-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.