Subject: New PIM-SM Draft

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 17:58:09 -0700

We've just submitted the new PIM-SM draft to the ID editor as
draft-ietf-pim-sm-v2-new-00.  It's been revised a little since the
version we sent out on Monday.

Postscript and ASCII versions are available from:
  http://www.aciri.org/mjh/draft-ietf-pim-sm-v2-new-00.ps
  http://www.aciri.org/mjh/draft-ietf-pim-sm-v2-new-00.txt

Both versions are also available from
  http://www.research.att.com/~fenner/mcast/pim/spec/

We recommend reading the Postscript version if at all possible, as we
haven't yet attempted to turn the state-machines into ASCII-art, and
the tables don't properly fit into 80 columns.

The document is still missing (*,*,RP) mechanisms - we think we know
how to include this in a fairly simple way, but haven't yet had time
to write the text.  Also some sections could do with a little more
explanatory text, the Security Considerations section could do with
expanding a little, and we ran out of time to add the "what's changed"
since RFC 2362" section.

We'd really appreciate your feedback - our web server logs show more
than 70 different hosts retrieved the pre-release version from
www.aciri.org, but only one person sent us comments!

Cheers,

Mark, Bill, Hugh and Isidor

---

From: Liming Wei <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 11:13:07 -0700 (PDT)

> From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
> 

I'm going to read this version in a couple of days.

> expanding a little, and we ran out of time to add the "what's changed"

I have resubmitted the PIM authentication draft as the -01 version. It
was discussed/revised through a number of the WG meetings and
consensus was reached. Not sure what you plan to do with the section
in SM spec. But to provide some background information, the idea of
having an independent security document was that the security
mechanism can be moved forward without updating or interlocking with
the changes in the basic SM spec (this is probably desireable in the
future as well). It also makes it easy for the implementors to find
what is related and what is not.

> www.aciri.org, but only one person sent us comments!

It probably takes time for folks to get to it, esp if they are to
compare the long text against their code.

-Liming