Subject: snapshot of the new pim-sm spec is available

From: Hugh Holbrook <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 18:52:55 -0700 (PDT)

PIM wizards,

As discussed at the last IETF, Bill Fenner, Mark Handley, Isidor
Kouvelas and I have been working on a rewrite of the PIM-SM spec.  We
have a snapshot available at:

        http://www.aciri.org/mjh/pimspec.ps

This is a snapshot, and it has not been submitted to the draft editor;
we will do that next week after we get comments and after we
incorporate a few more changes.  Remaining items include: adding
(*,*,RP) support next week, some sections have insufficient
explanations, clarification of exactly where we have fixed problems in
the current spec, and a section about SSM, and surely countless typos
to be discovered.

The presentation is quite different from that of the old spec, but the
protocol is the same.  Hopefully, the new spec will make good sense to
someone familiar with the protocol.  We have not (intentionally)
changed the behavior except in places where the current spec is known
to be wrong or incomplete.

Please take a look and let us know what you think.

-Hugh, Bill, Mark and Isidor

---

From: Hugh Holbrook <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 12:57:36 -0700

Some people have reported trouble reaching www.aciri.org this
morning.  There is a copy now available at

        ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/ipmulticast/drafts/pimspec.ps.gz

also.

-Hugh