Subject: RE: snapshot of the new pim-sm spec is available

From: Chris Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 09:53:56 -0700

Am I to take this to mean that PIM will still contain *,*,rp support?  Sorry
if I missed that post...

thanks

Chris 

Christopher J. Hall
Software Engineer
Wind River Networks
949.442.2066
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Hugh Holbrook [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2000 6:53 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: snapshot of the new pim-sm spec is available

PIM wizards,

As discussed at the last IETF, Bill Fenner, Mark Handley, Isidor
Kouvelas and I have been working on a rewrite of the PIM-SM spec.  We
have a snapshot available at:

        http://www.aciri.org/mjh/pimspec.ps

This is a snapshot, and it has not been submitted to the draft editor;
we will do that next week after we get comments and after we
incorporate a few more changes.  Remaining items include: adding
(*,*,RP) support next week, some sections have insufficient
explanations, clarification of exactly where we have fixed problems in
the current spec, and a section about SSM, and surely countless typos
to be discovered.

The presentation is quite different from that of the old spec, but the
protocol is the same.  Hopefully, the new spec will make good sense to
someone familiar with the protocol.  We have not (intentionally)
changed the behavior except in places where the current spec is known
to be wrong or incomplete.

Please take a look and let us know what you think.

-Hugh, Bill, Mark and Isidor

---

From: Hugh Holbrook <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 10:57:08 -0700

The short answer is yes.

Based on the recent discussion on this mailing list we (the authors of
the new spec) concluded that we should propagate the (*,*,RP) support
in the current spec to the new spec.  We are planning to add it in,
it's just that we haven't had time to do it yet.

-Hugh