Subject: Re: snapshot of the new pim-sm spec is available

From: Dirk Ooms <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 10:01:16 +0200

The old spec used to have a section on how to handle unicast route
changes, which I can't find back in the new spec.  Is it intended this
way or will it be added later on?

dirk

Hugh Holbrook wrote:
> 
> PIM wizards,
> 
> As discussed at the last IETF, Bill Fenner, Mark Handley, Isidor
> Kouvelas and I have been working on a rewrite of the PIM-SM spec.  We
> have a snapshot available at:
> 
>         http://www.aciri.org/mjh/pimspec.ps
> 
> This is a snapshot, and it has not been submitted to the draft editor;
> we will do that next week after we get comments and after we
> incorporate a few more changes.  Remaining items include: adding
> (*,*,RP) support next week, some sections have insufficient
> explanations, clarification of exactly where we have fixed problems in
> the current spec, and a section about SSM, and surely countless typos
> to be discovered.
> 
> The presentation is quite different from that of the old spec, but the
> protocol is the same.  Hopefully, the new spec will make good sense to
> someone familiar with the protocol.  We have not (intentionally)
> changed the behavior except in places where the current spec is known
> to be wrong or incomplete.
> 
> Please take a look and let us know what you think.
> 
> -Hugh, Bill, Mark and Isidor

---

From: Isidor Kouvelas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 08:41:52 -0700

>way or will it be added later on?

There are transitions that are triggered by route changes in the
upstream Join/Prune state machines. Some text may need to be added to
the spec.

thanks
Isidor

---

From: Hugh Holbrook <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 13:10:06 -0700

In particular, it is the transition on the (S,G) upstream state
machine that is triggered when "MRIB_next_hop_to(S) !=
cached_MRIB_next_hop_to_S".  There is a similar transition in upstream
(*,G) state machine.  The actions associated with this transition are
to send a Join to the new next hop and a Prune to the old next hop,
and reset the J/P Periodic timer.  We will add some text that explains
the details of this.

-Hugh