Subject: PIM assert messages

From: "Sundeep Singatwaria" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 10:56:42 -0800

On a multiaccess LAN, router R1 has (S,G) RPT bit entry and router R2 has
(S,G) entry. Both R1 and R2 have interface to the multiacess LAN included in
their oif list.
 
When R1 receives a packet from R2 does it send an assert message with RPT
bit set in metric preference ?

Sundeep

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 15:46:58 -0800

>bit set in metric preference ?  

When R1 sees a packet from S to G on the LAN that it didn't forward
there, yes, it sends an Assert.  Since it has an (S,G)RPT entry, it
sends an Assert with the RPT bit set.  R2 will reply with its better
metric and win the Assert election.

  Bill

---

From: "Sundeep Singatwaria" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 19:22:17 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Fenner [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2000 3:47 PM
To: Singatwaria, Sundeep [SC7:370:EXCH]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: PIM assert messages

  Bill

Bill,
Don't we have to compare the metric preference first before we compare
the metrics. Since R1 has a RPT bit set in the metric preference for
the assert message it advertises - so R1 should be the winner.

Sundeep

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 19:56:17 -0800

>the assert message it advertises - so R1 should be the winner.  

I guess it's not quite clear in the current spec, but the lower Assert
values are better, so RPT bit clear beats RPT bit set.

  Bill