Subject: RE: pim RP-Set question ??

From: "Sundeep Singatwaria" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 10:05:28 -0700

Radha,
You need to remap the groups to the new rp-set.

Sundeep

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2001 10:40 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: pim RP-Set question ??

Hi,
    The pim-sm draft says
" when a router receives and stores a new RP-Set, it checks if each of
the RPs referred to by the existing state is in the new RP-Set"

Is it ok to check only at RP level or do we need to check even the
groups represented by the RPs. Basically I wanted to know whether we
should handle only RP changes or even the individual group changes of
each RP ? Sometimes RP's might want to forward more groups or wanted to
give up some groups dynamically.

--
regards
radha

---

From: "Radhakrishna Singuru" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 09:57:51 +0530

Sundeep,
     Yes, we are remapping the groups to the new rp-set. But what I
wanted to know is when a new rp-set comes, do we need to check whether
the groups represented by each individual RP (in the new set) has
changed or not wrt to the old RP-set. Draft only talks about RP changes
but not about the group changes in each RP.
regards
radha

--
regards
radha

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 08:39:02 -0700

>but not about the group changes in each RP.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.  Here's the rules:

 - When the RPset changes, identify the set S of all groups for which we
   have (*,G) or (*,*,RP) state, and which are covered by a part of
   the RPset that changed.

 - For each G in S, rehash G to see if RP(G) changed.  If it did,
   take the appropriate action, as indicated in the state machines.

Obviously you can implement it more efficiently than this.  Ie, if the
RPset for a group-range strictly decreased, then you only need to
remap those groups whose RP disappeared.  But if the RPset increased,
or the group-ranges themselves change, then you need to check every
group that might be affected.

Cheers,
	Mark