Subject: Réf. : Re: Join/Prune Messages

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 15:02:27 +0200

>You do lose information if you unicast.

>The other neighbors on a multicast access network need to process the
>JP message in order to determine if they need to override a prune
>contained in the message.

 If I understand correctly, this is when routers "see prune(S,G) (or something
like that) to RPF'(S,G)" as it is said in the draft for the upstream state
machine. But it is relevant when "RPF_interface is a shared medium".

Are they other reasons for multicasting JP messages ?

Because, I want to simulate PIM-SM in NS for "simple" networks (without shared
interfaces) with a multi-beam satellite. This is why, I want to unicast JP
message: to save downlink bandwith (i.e JP messages need not to be broadcast in
all downlink spots).

I hope my english is clear...

Thanks

Greg.

ALCATEL SPACE INDUSTRIES
Dép TS/AT/E
Tel : 33 (0)5 34 35 37 52  /  Fax : 33 (0)5 34 35 61 69
Porte : 2070  /  E-Mail : [email-masked]