Subject: RE: GenID in PIM-SM

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 16:21:00 -0700

>The two comments above seem to be contradicting each other. The first one
>indicates that unicast has to converge before J/P messages can be sent,
>while your second comment indicates that J/P messages are triggered with
>random time intervals upon a change in GenID. The first one makes logical
>sense. I'm not sure I follow the second comment. 

Well, I'm not sure I've been making much sense =)

Routing does not have to converge; the downstream routers do "immediately"
retransmit their joins when the upstream's GenID changes.  A robust
upstream implementation will create the appropriate state and will
send the appropriate Joins further upstream as soon as unicast routing
converges.  This is not in the spec because it feels kind of complicated
to specify other than in vague terms.

  Bill

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 17:30:48 -0700

>to specify other than in vague terms.

It's also not necessary to spec this for interoperability.  Poor
implementations will still work - just they'll heal slower.

Probably worth adding an implementation hint here, but I definitely
agree it's not something we should specify precisely.

 - Mark