Subject: RE: Join/Prune Messages

From: Brian Edwards <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 10:13:02 -0700

All the routers need to see the message on transit LANs, so the Assert
mechanism can work properly.

-Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2001 5:26 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Join/Prune Messages

Hello,

Join/Prune message are sent to all pim neighbor routers with TTL of 1
(multicast
address 224.0.0.13). But only one router (the upstream neighbor router) will
process the message.
I'm just wondering if, for an adaptation of PIM-SM, for simulations in NS,
we
can only send pim Join/Prune message in unicast to the upstream neighbor.

Do we loose informations in doing that.

Thank You

MAMAN Gregory

ALCATEL SPACE INDUSTRIES
Dép TS/AT/E
Tel : 33 (0)5 34 35 37 52  /  Fax : 33 (0)5 34 35 61 69
Porte : 2070  /  E-Mail : [email-masked]

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 11:08:07 -0700

>mechanism can work properly
>
>-Brian

Actually the Assert state machines don't have any transitions that are
triggered by seeing a third party Join/Prune.  Asserts are triggered
by data packets, or by reception of another Assert.

However, the upstream J/P state machines do have such transitions -
they're needed when a router sees a third-party Prune, and needs to
trigger sending of a Join to cause the upstream router to continue
forwarding.

Cheers,
	Mark