Subject: RFC 2362 vs. recent drafts

From: Chris Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 16:06:57 -0700

Hi All-
	I have been led to understand that an RFC 2362 PIM implementation
can lead to 'black hole' state and unreachable groups on a network.  
	I would like to know where I can find documentation on these alleged
issues.  Also, if these problems do exist, what is the oldest workable pim
draft?  Is there a concise listing of the changes from the RFC necessary?
Does anyone document changes in the PIM-SM spec from  draft to draft? 

Thanks for your help!

Chris

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 09:49:55 -0700

Chris,

http://www.aciri.org/fenner/mcast/pim/sm/issues.html contains a list of
39 or so issues that we (Fenner, Handley, Kouvelas, Viscisano) came up
with before we (Fenner, Handley, Holbrook, Kouvelas) started on the new
spec.

The I-D's have change bars, so you can look for the change bars to see
which sections have changed, but I don't think anyone has kept a list.
The whole style of the spec changed from RFC2362, so it's hard to say
what changed -- at some level, everything changed, since the spec now
describes what to do in state machines, etc. vs. the changes you make to
the forwarding cache.

  Bill