Subject: inherited olist ??

From: "Radhakrishna Singuru" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 19:43:59 +0530

Hi,
     The pim-sm draft specifies only inherited_olist(S,G) which can be
used to forward multicast packets. Is it possible to have
inherited_olist(*,G) for forwarding (*,G) packets ? Basically, I feel
this might help reduce the number of entries in the multicast forwarding
table.

--
regards
radha

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 08:30:12 -0700

>this might help reduce the number of entries in the multicast forwarding

As far as protocol correctness is concerned, there's no need for
inherited_olist(*,G) because this is handled by inherited_olist(S,G,rpt).

But these are only macros that we use to define behaviour in a
reasonably compact form - the state that's held is in the state
machines (i.e., in DownstreamJPState(*,*,RP,I), etc).

What you put in your forwarding table is up to you, so long as it has
the same externally visible functionality as the Data Packet
Forwarding Rules in the spec.  There's a lot of room here for product
differentiation, and that's always the general idea with IETF specs -
they specify what you should do to be conformant, but not how you
should most efficiently implement it on your particular platform.

Cheers,
	Mark