Subject: PIM-SM (*,*,RP)

From: "Jyotheeswara Rao Kurma" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 16:48:57 +0500

Hi All:

  Can you please tell me when a router sends a (*,*,RP) join/prune . 
i.e under
what conditions, a router generates this ? Is this only for 
interoperability ?
Cisco's guide on Deploying Multicast networks doesn't discuss this at 
all.
I suppose this state is meant for Interop between other Multicast 
deamons and
 PIM-SM. If for inter-op only PMBR's generates this or other's also ?
Who decides which is PMBR. Is it only throgh configuration (in
/etc/pimd.conf) . like Border routers in Autonomous Systems, on which 
BGP 
will run. or some other method ? 

what/when is this state , or join/prune will be sent/created. ???

Please send me some links , where I can get more info on (*,*,RP )..

Thanks in advance,
Jyotheesh

---

From: "Sundeep Singatwaria" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 09:30:57 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2001 3:21 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: PIM-SM (*,*,RP)

Hi All:

  Can you please tell me when a router sends a (*,*,RP) join/prune . i.e
under
what conditions, a router generates this ? 
When you configure a MBR on a router.

Is this only for interoperability ?
Yes

Cisco's guide on Deploying Multicast networks doesn't discuss this at all.
I suppose this state is meant for Interop between other Multicast deamons
and
 PIM-SM. If for inter-op only PMBR's generates this or other's also ?
Only MBR generates this msg

Who decides which is PMBR. Is it only throgh configuration (in
/etc/pimd.conf) . like Border routers in Autonomous Systems, on which BGP 
will run. or some other method ? 
thru config

what/when is this state , or join/prune will be sent/created. ???
these are periodic msgs sent from MBR towards RP.

Please send me some links , where I can get more info on (*,*,RP )..
Deborah Estrin at USC had a link. I guess the latest version of the SM draft
also
has it.

Thanks in advance,
Jyotheesh

http://www.iitian.com : An Extraordinary place for Extraordinary people