Subject: RE: [pim] PIM-SM v2 deployment issues - 1 minute latency?

From: Cormier Chris-ACC125 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 12:39:44 -0600

Re #1
Sounds like a problem at the RP. 1st null register is triggering proper state creation.

-----Original Message-----
From: Philip Ho [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 12:57 AM
To: PIM mail
Cc: Philip
Subject: [pim] PIM-SM v2 deployment issues - 1 minute latency?

Hi all,

Considering the case of 1 group, 1 sender and 1 receiver in a multicast
network of PIM-SM v2. We are promoting IP multicast in Hong Kong and we
have created a mini-testbed involving 6 layer-3 switches running PIM-SM.
There are two questions that PIM-SM need to face during deployment.

1. Are there anybody out there notice that when sender starts before the
receiver. The receiver will have to wait 1 minute to receive data after
it joins the group.

2. We are afraid that the outgoing link at the router where the paths of
RPT and SPT diverge will be flooded with duplicate bandwidth of data.
However, after measurement, we cannot find any. Why? Am I correct to say
that it must join (S,G) and then receive data via SPT FIRST and send
(S,G) RP-bit Prune towards RP LATER?

Regards,
philip
Hong Kong IP Multicast Initiative (HKIPMI)
Department of Information Engineering
The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Phone : 2603 5240
Fax : 2603 5032