Subject: [pim] doubt regarding rfc 2932 and rfc 2934

From: Rajesh Nataraja <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 06:43:17 -0800 (PST)

hi,
Pl clarify what type of entries (ie. (S,G)/(*.G)/(*,*,RP)) will be present
in the IP Multicast Forwarding Table and significance of having the same
index for ipMRouteEntry Table in RFC2932 & pimIpMRouteEntry in RFC 2934.

I feel there is no significance in having the same index to pimIpMRouteEntry
and IpMRouteEntry tables.

b'cos of the following reasons -
* In PIM SM, route entries are created based on (*,G)/(*,*,RP)/(S,G) 
  joins. But in case of IP Multicast Forwarding Table, route entry is 
  created only when multicast data packet is forwarded.
* Assume, a multicast packet arrives, and matching entry is (*,G) 
  entry. IP Forwarding Table is updated with IpMRouteSourceAddress as 
  source of multicast packet, IpMRouteGroupAddress is intended 
  reciever address and IpMRouteRtAddress is RP address. In this case, 
  when SNMP manager does a get on the Ip Forwarding Table for the 
  source (S,G) he would get an entry but when does the same on 
  pimIpMRouteEntry Table there would be failure.
* Moreover, I feel we can't maintain PIM specific wild card entries 
 (ie. (*,G)/(*,*,RP))need not be maintained in IP multicast 
  Forwarding Table as the forwarding table is common to all the 
  Multicast Routing Protocols.

rajesh

_______________________________________________________
http://inbox.excite.com