Subject: RE: [pim] RP selection algorithm and BSR

From: "Shekhar, Ravi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 13:42:02 -0500

> 
>   Cisco's Auto-RP
>        Auto-RP uses a PIM Dense-Mode multicast group to 
> announce group-to-
>        RP mappings from a central location.  
>        ....

Hi Mark,
  Even though that is a common usage scenario, the statement isn't 
  entirely correct. Auto-RP uses two groups to announce/advertise its
  mappings. But those groups need not be in dense-mode. They could 
  be in sparse-mode with the RPs for those two groups configured 
  statically.

  A minor point - barring inter-operability issues, the idea of 
  longest match in BSR should make it easier to introduce the 
  concept of "negative RP" (as Auto-RP defines) i.e. punching 
  holes in group-to-RP mappings.

  - Ravi Shekhar.

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 10:45:15 -0800

>  be in sparse-mode with the RPs for those two groups configured 

Thanks for the correction - I'll change the wording to reflect this.

Cheers,
	Mark