Subject: [pim] Questions on Assert Message handling

From: Rishabh Parekh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 14:37:37 -0700

Hi,
I have a few questions about handling received Assert messages as
specified in the new draft-05.

The section 4.6.2 on (*,G) Assert Message State Machine has two
paragraphs in bold characters. The paragraphs can be summarized as
below:
A) An Assert Message must be first matched against the (S,G) Assert
State Machine before considering that Assert message for the (*,G)
Assert State Machine.
B) After applying an Assert Message to the (S,G) Assert State Machine,
it should NOT be applied to the (*,G) Assert State Machine if the (S,G)
Assert State Machine for the "relevant" S and G is NOT in the "No Info"
state.
C) After applying an Assert Message to the (S,G) Assert State Machine,
it should NOT be applied to the (*,G) Assert State Machine if that
message has caused ANY state change in the (S,G) Assert State Machine.

Now, from section 4.10 of the draft-05, I deduce that there are 3 types
Assert Messages that can be received.
1) A "pure" (*,G) Assert Message with the R-bit set and the source
address of INADDR_ANY
2) A "data-triggered" (*,G) Assert Message with R-bit set and the source
address set to S.
3) A "pure" (S,G) Assert Message with R-bit clear and the source address
set to S.

My questions are as follows:
a) In case a "pure" (*,G) Assert Message is received, how do I apply the
message to the (S,G) Assert State Machine? Do I have to traverse the TIB
and apply this message to the TIB entries for all sources S of group G?
If I have to do a traversal, then is it true that if the above condition
A) or B) is true for any source S for group G, then I cannot apply this
"pure" (*,G) Assert Message to the (*,G) Assert State Machine? What is
the "relevant" source S in this case?

b) In case of a "data-triggered" (*,G) Assert Message, should I apply
this message only to the (S,G) Assert State Machine for the source S in
the message? Or, do I have to traverse the TIB for all the sources for
group G?

Regards,
Rishabh Parekh.

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
http://catarina.usc.edu/mailman/listinfo/pim