Subject: [pim] question about join/prune suppression

From: 蓉 胡 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 15:59:16 +0800 (CST)

All,

    when a router receive a join/prune not intended to it ,I think that it hear the message from a multi-access network and should suppress its relating route entries'  join/prune. Does it just start join/prune suppression timer of the matching route entries ? Or something else need doing ? According to different entries ,such as (*, G) , (*, *, RP), (S, G), especially (*, *, RP), different actions are needed to be done, but I'm not clear in mind. 

---------------------------------
Do You Yahoo!?
30 张免费世界杯球票 7 天送完！有种你就快来抢！

---

From: "Prashant Jhingran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 22:39:35 +0530

hi all,
        Well according to the latest draft ...(or I should better say
according to the latest version...as they keep coming..:-) )...there is no
"suppression timer"...
           tough one can find one in RFC 2362....

         In the latest draft, for  almost all the entries one is supposed to
either Decrease or Increase the Join Timer (JT) for the affected entry to
t_override or t_joinsuppress  time respectively...(for details pls refer the
draft)......on receiving so called "unintended" join/prune messages, which I
feel can only happen on the multi-access LAN.

Now its all implementation specific...if you are upgrading RFC to
draft.....then you can use the similar concept...otherwise...according to
draft one needs to manipulate the Join Timer....as per the specifications
given in the draft......
Hope this shall clear your doubt.....
regards,
Prashant
  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of 蓉 胡
  Sent: Monday, April 22, 2002 1:29 PM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: [pim] question about join/prune suppression

  All,

      when a router receive a join/prune not intended to it ,I think that it
hear the message from a multi-access network and should suppress its
relating route entries'  join/prune. Does it just start join/prune
suppression timer of the matching route entries ? Or something else need
doing ? According to different entries ,such as (*, G) , (*, *, RP), (S, G),
especially (*, *, RP), different actions are needed to be done, but I'm not
clear in mind.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
  Do You Yahoo!?
  30 张免费世界杯球票 7 天送完！有种你就快来抢！

***************************************************************************
This message is proprietary to Future Software Limited (FSL) 
and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it
is addressed. It may contain  privileged or confidential information 
and should not be circulated or used for any purpose other than for 
what it is intended. 

If you have received this message in error, please notify the
originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from using,
copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. 
FSL accepts no responsibility for loss or damage arising from 
the use of the information transmitted by this email including
damage from virus.
***************************************************************************