Subject: [pim] question about SSM part of PIM-SM spec.

From: Hitoshi Asaeda <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 12:02:07 +0200 (MEST)

Hi all.

I have questions related to SSM part of PIM-SM's spec.

1. If PIM-SM router receives (*,G) join whose group address range is
   in SSM range, what happens? Ignore the join? Or construct RPT?
   If it ignores the join, is this the reason sending (*,G) join is
   irregular?
2. If PIM-SSM router, which is only capable SSM, receives (S,G) join
   whose group address range is out of SSM range, what happens?
   I think it will construct SPT normally. Am I correct?
3. Oppositely, if PIM-SSM router receives (*,G) join or some (S,G)
   join with EXCLUDE filter-mode (i.e., EX{a,b}), whose group address
   range is regardless of in or out of SSM range, it ignores the join,
   right?

Thanks.
--
Hitoshi Asaeda
_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
http://catarina.usc.edu/mailman/listinfo/pim

---

From: Hugh Holbrook <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 02:09:27 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, Hitoshi.

Sorry for the astronomical delay on my response.

> From: Hitoshi Asaeda <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 12:02:07 +0200 (MEST)
> 
> Hi all.
> 

It ignores the join.  See section 4.9.1 of the draft pim spec.  If the
action that the router should take is not clear, please let me know.

>    I think it will construct SPT normally. Am I correct?

I don't believe we specified any behavior in the spec so it's
currently up to the implementation.  I could imagine an implementation
choosing to ignore the join, also.

>    range is regardless of in or out of SSM range, it ignores the join,

Correct. Again, this is specified in 4.9.1.

-Hugh