Subject: [pim] Dvmrp - pim-sm interaction

From: "P.Jhingran" <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 May 2002 19:43:39 -0000

hi all,
        I have a typical doubt while thinking of doing interop 
between pim-sm and dvmrp domains...

Consider a DVMRP domain and a SM domain...one can easily get the 
data packets from the DVMRP domain into the pim-sm domain..by 
simply following the 03 or 05 draft and RFC 2715 interop rules. 
The PMBR is supposed to act as a SDR for such packets.

But in order to do the reverse thing , i mean getting packets from 
SM into DVMRP domain, i encountered the following doubt.

According to the dvmrp  V3 draft..section 2.2 says ..
" When the first IP multicast datagram is a router running DVMRP, 
it first looks at the source network in the DVMRP routing 
table..."

The router running DVMRP alone shall fail while trying to do a RPF 
look up for a source residing in the SM domain because it shall 
not be having any routes for reaching that source.
Thus the packets shall be droped by the first hop router connected 
to PMBR...
How to avoid this??
A possible way might be to refer unicast routes whenever DVMRP 
fails to perform a route look up using its own routing table.
please let me know how this can be achieved.

Remember interop between pim-sm and pim-dm is easly because PIM 
takes the help of unicast routing protocols.

may be that's why we call PIM as protocol independent.:)

thanks and regards,
P. Jhingran

_________________________________________________________
Click below to visit monsterindia.com and review jobs in India or 
Abroad
http://monsterindia.rediff.com/jobs

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
http://catarina.usc.edu/mailman/listinfo/pim