Subject: Re: Re: [pim] Fragmentation of J/P packets

From: "Bakar" <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Jul 2002 18:12:57 -0000

Hi Mark,

   please find my response inlined,

>No, this isn't semantic fragmentation.  It's simply

Bakar>  ok.

>specifying the
>overload behaviour - if there are so many (S,G,rpt) prunes you 
>can fit
>in a J/P message (even with IP fragmentation), then PIM >provides 
>no
>solution.  The rule above just specifies the correct overload
>behaviour in this case.

Bakar> Lets say  N (S,G,rpt) prunes exist for a (*,G),  and since 
no semantic fragmentation exits, PIM packs the (*,G) entry and all 
the (S,G,rpt) prunes in one big packet. and so the packet reaches 
upstream router as IP fragments. And the construction of that big 
packet is done such a way that the addresses are sorted in 
ascending order.

Is this understanding correct ?

can pls let me know the advantage of doing this ?

thanx and regards,
Bakar

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
http://catarina.usc.edu/mailman/listinfo/pim