Subject: [pim] how to deal with the situation that the upstram interface becomes NULL

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 16:51:44 +0800

Hi friend, 
    In Cicso switch system, the upstream interface of an multicast entry 
will become NULL sometimes.
    There are 3 causes will lead the upstream interface of an entry to 
null. They are the multicast function on the upstream interface becomes 
disable; the wire of the upstream interface is unplugged and the unicast 
route to the source disappears.
    But in latest PIM-DM document (RFC 3973) doesn't discuss this 
situation, so I don't know how to deal with this situation. Such as:
    1. when upstream interface become down, what actions should be done?
        a.delete the downstream interface from the chip tabel entry.
        b. send assert cancel message if the downstream interface is 
assert winner.
    2. when upstream interface is in the state of NULL, how to deal with 
the timers, received protocol meassages (prune, assert, graft, graft-ack, 
join, hello) and traffic from downstream interface? 
    3. when upstream interface is in the state of NULL, if protocol 
messages can be sent out in downstream interface? If true, when does the 
message be sent out?
     If you know how to deal with this situation or you have good ideal to 
deal with it, can you share them or tell me where I can find resoures 
about it? Thanks a lot! 

Best Regards!
keasy shen(沈欣欣)

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim