Subject: [pim] pimd under Linux 2.6: very long time between join request and activation of multicast route.

From: Алексей Прокопчук <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 16:39:25 +0300

Hi all!

My English is not very good, excuse me if I said something wrong.
Two months ago I got several IPTV channels from my upstream provider.
All users in my network are connected through Linux routers, so I
decided to use pimd for multicast routing.
All works well with pimd, but between IGMP join request and actual
activation of multicast route to end user takes very long time: up to
30-40 seconds. I tried to test multicast routing with my Cisco Catalyst
6509 (sup2), in this case actual multicast route activation takes less
than a second, sometimes one second, no more.
Now for some reasons is impossible to use my Catalyst for multicast
routing for all users, and I would like to solve the problem of a long
delay between join and route activation.
Could you give me a hint where to find the cause of this behavior? If
necessary, I can try to edit the source code to achieve the result. So
far I'm not quite sure where exactly to look for the causes of such
behavior.
Now all the pimd are configured with a static rendezvous point and with
no cand-rp and cand-bsr option. Totally three routers present, all in
one segment, and one of them has upstream interface.

Thanks in advance, with best regards, Alexey Prokopchuk (AP8686-RIPE).

---

From: "V, Magesh (Magesh)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 13:09:36 +0530

'igmp-fast-leave' is one quick thing I can think of. Is that option already turned ON? This should help improving response times during Channel zapping.

Thanks,
Magesh.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of ??????? ?????????
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:09 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [pim] pimd under Linux 2.6: very long time between join request and activation of multicast route.

Hi all!

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim

---

From: Алексей Прокопчук <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 19:57:23 +0300

> 'igmp-fast-leave' is one quick thing I can think of. Is that option already turned ON? This should help improving response times during Channel zapping.
Which version of pimd you are bear in mind? pimd-2.1.7 which I currently
using, has no 'igmp-fast-leave' option, nor in configuration nor in
command line parameters... As far as I know, this version is the latest...

With best regards, Alexey Prokopchuk (AP8686-RIPE).