Subject: [pim] Zaheduzzaman Sarker's No Objection on draft-ietf-pim-igmp-mld-extension-06: (with COMMENT)

From: Zaheduzzaman Sarker via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2022 06:47:09 -0800

Zaheduzzaman Sarker has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-pim-igmp-mld-extension-06: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/blog/handling-iesg-ballot-positions/
for more information about how to handle DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pim-igmp-mld-extension/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to the authors for the effort on this specifications. Thanks to Wesley
Eddy for the TSV review.

I have couple of questions. It would be nice to get responses to them - see
below :

* Section 3: it is not clear to me from this specification when the Extension
length may be zero. Can it be clarified why one would include the extension
without values?

* What is the "Group Record" for MLDV2?

---

From: Alvaro Retana <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 11:54:20 -0800

On February 1, 2022 at 9:47:10 AM, Zaheduzzaman Sarker wrote:

Zahed:

Hi!

Thanks for the review!

...
> * Section 3: it is not clear to me from this specification when the
> Extension length may be zero. Can it be clarified why one would include the
> extension without values?

No Extension Types have been defined, yet, but I can imagine one that
indicates that a node supports a specific functionality: the new TLV
would only be included if the functionality is supported.  In this
case there would be no need to include a value.

> * What is the "Group Record" for MLDV2?

Great catch!

MLDv2 uses "Address Record" instead of "Group Record" (from IGMP).
I'll have the authors update the text to be specific.

Thanks!

Alvaro.