Subject: Re: PINT is another story...

From: [email-masked] (Lawrence Conroy)
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 00:48:53 +0100

At 3:41 pm 30/3/99, Alec Brusilovsky wrote:
>Lawrence,
>
>I hope you will agree that we do not have enough time to study long chain of
>events leading to us suffering at the Airports. My hint would be to start with
>"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth..."
>
>Meanwhile, we have to select classic PIN services and focus on the PIN services
>requirements.
>In order to do that we have to agree on what will constitute PIN service.
>By focusing on the core PIN service and leaving subscription alone we can do
>that much easier.
>
>-Alec
>

To which I reply...
Absolutely. Both you and Igor have given a good list (we call ICW Call
Completion Internet Busy (CCIB), but what the heck :). I'd also include the
"data setting" ones like the Universal Personal Telecommunications (UPT)
"Register for Incoming" personal mobility service.

A PINT service would be to tell the I.N. via a web page (or from the
Internet, anyway) that from now on the subscriber will be "here", where
"here" is either attached to a VoIP User Agent Server, or even on a
particular phone number. In either case, the service would be to set this
data into some PSTN/I.N. database. At present we have to do this either
with voice prompts or wierd and wonderful strings of digits dialled into a
phone (or both). Using a Web browser with a snazzy front end will be a
useful service. However, from the PINT perspective, all we're doing is
passing "down" a phone number or a VoIP identifier (e.g. a SIP URL), plus
some subscriber identity.

A PIN service would be to set the phone number by which a person could be
reached into a SIP Registrar/Proxy (or an H.323 GK, if you prefer). This
could be initiated by an I.N. service that runs when I log in to do the
normal PSTN-based "Register for Incoming" procedure. The advantage is that,
having updated an Internet database, VoIP callers can "find" me when I'm
using a "steam" phone.

Both of these are data setting services; we shouldn't forget them.

More later...

All the best, Lawrence
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Lawrence Conroy,    | "These Opinions must be mine, 'cos if they    |
| Roke Manor Research |  were my Company's they'd charge you for them"|
|- [email-masked]  ---+- Tel: +44 1794 833666  Fax: +44 1794 833434 --|

---------
This message came from the IETF PINT Working Group Mailing List.

---

From: Alec Brusilovsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 08:17:57 -0500

Lawrence Conroy wrote:

> [...] A PIN service would be to set the phone number by which a person could be

I really like that we are getting somewhere now. Thank you, Lawrence!

This data setting service is an actual subscription for the UPT service that
Lawrence mentioned earlier.
As we can see, everything becomes easier and more agreeable when we separate service
subscription (data setting service) from an actual core service, UPT in the example
above ("VoIP callers can "find" me when I'm using a "steam" phone").

Regards,
-Alec