Subject: PIN BOF Announcement

From: Alec Brusilovsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 13:16:01 -0500

On the advice of the Transport Area Directorate I would like to publish
this announcement regarding PIN BOF on March 15 from 3:30 through 5:30
p.m.

PIN: PSTN - IP Notification

With the proliferation and wide acceptance of the Internet, and more so
with the convergence of the Internet and PSTN, there is an increasing
desire for events occurring on the PSTN domain to be propagated to the
Internet domain.

The protocol of the PINT working group is used to pass requests for
service from an IP host to a telephone network, and to receive responses
back from the telephone network. But some Interworking services require
that requests
for services go in the opposite direction: from a telephone network to
an IP host.

The Internet Draft "Need for PSTN Internet Notification (PIN) Services"
is available from the official IETF directory and explains the need and
gives some requirements for such requests for service and for
notification.

The PIN BOF will examine the sorts of Telephone Services that present
requirements for such requests from a telephone network to a set of IP
hosts. It is important that we agree on the scope of requests for
service and notification that such services might generate. There are
various working groups and protocols (most notably IPTEL, PINT, and
MEGACO) which might have relevance for the sort of services we want to
enable.  In addition to a discussion of the scope and requirements of an
eventual PIN working group, the PIN BOF will need to understand if those
requirements are being fulfilled by these or other working groups.

At the BOF there will be a series of short presentations of various
solutions in industry use.  These will be examined only to help us
understand the scope of the services we want to support.  Our goal is to
decide whether or not a new protocol or protocol family is
needed, and, if so, what its scope and requirements should be.

The PIN mailing list is located at
[email-masked].

To subscribe or unsubscribe yourself to the mailing list, send E-mail to
[email-masked] with the single word
"subscribe" or "unsubscribe" (without the quotes) in the body of the
message. Please do not send subscription requests to
[email-masked].

Regards,
Alec Brusilovsky