Subject: SIP

From: Hans Viens <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 14:36:00 -0400

Hi Folks!

I would like to know if we MUST use PGP to be fully compatible with SIP ?
If we have to, is that mean that we MUST use RSA public/private keys ?  And
is there a minimum of symetric algorithms that we MUST implement ?

Thanks

Hans...

---------
This message came from the IETF PINT Working Group Mailing List.

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 15:54:41 -0400

> is there a minimum of symetric algorithms that we MUST implement ?

I think you have somewhat peculiar notions of protocol implementation.
The required parts of the spec are indicated in the 'Minimal
Implementations' section of RFC 2543. No security is required, but going
to a customer and saying "Sorry, I'm not doing security, the spec
doesn't force me to" is not going to be very convincing. I would imagine
that there is no law that requires that you put upholstered seats into
cars, so you can build a fully compliant car just with wooden benches.
I'm not sure you are going to sell many such cars, though.

Again, there is no protocol police. People build the features that their
customers ask for. There are currently (as far as I know) no
PGP-speaking SIP implementations, but that is likely to change in the
next few months. 

As for PGP, the OpenPGP spec provides details as to the minimum set of
algorithms to be supported to ensure interoperability.

-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs

---------