Subject: Re: KISS for PKIX. (Was: RE: ASN.1 vs XML (used to be RE: I-D ACTION :draft-ietf-pkix-scvp- 00.txt))

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 10:31:33 -0700

another interesting scenerio for RADIUS is that most webservers ship with stubs
for authentication and then sites frequently do roll-your-own userid/password
lookup processes. ... a straight-forward scenerio is to provide a RADIUS
protocol stub for web-servers ... then on an account-by-account basis the ISP
(&/or web operator) can use the same administrative interface for managing
account/userid authentication (for both internet/intranet/extranet
authentication and client-side web authentication).

futhermore ... on an account-by-account basis ... the site/operator then can
choose from a menu of RADIUS supported authentication mechanism at the
account/userid level (and in the straight-forward case, public key registration
is done in the same business process as password registration ... and digital
signature authentication becames a straight-forward alternative/option to
password authentication)

---

From: "Jeff Hayes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 11:09:02 -0700

RADIUS is an important and worthy authentication server. Switch vendors are now or
will soon use RADIUS for port based network access. There is an approved PAR within
the IEEE 802.1 group (802.1x) that will give the adminrator the option of requiring
user authentication prior to opening up the switch port. Although the spec will
most like not specify an authentication server(s), RADIUS is one authentication
means that can be used to verify identity (and leverage its vendor specific
attribute #26).

--
[email-masked]          Phone: 1.801.487.0525
Product Manager - Security, QoS, & L2/3/4 Switching
https://cosmo.xylan.com/x/users/jhayes/index.html