Subject: SNACC ASN.1 DER Freeware (was RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-scvp -00.txt)

From: "Pawling, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 09:40:28 -0400

All,

The DER-enhanced SNACC ASN.1 freeware is freely available to everyone at
J.G. Van Dyke and Associates' (VDA) S/MIME Freeware Library (SFL) web page
(http://www.jgvandyke.com/services/infosec/sfl.htm).  The snaccvda07.zip
file contains SNACC v1.3 rev 0.07 ASN.1 Compiler and Library source code
compilable for Unix and MS Windows NT/95/98.  The C++ version of SNACC has
been enhanced by VDA to implement the Distinguished Encoding Rules.  Project
files and makefiles are included.  This file also includes a sample test
project demonstrating the use of the SNACC classes.  SNACC implements the
full set of ASN.1 encoding/decoding rules, but it is pretty darn small
already.

The SNACC ASN.1 library is totally unencumbered as documented in the
following excerpt from the SFL Public License. 

"+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

           SNACC Abstract Syntax Notation.1 (ASN.1) Software 

The SNACC ASN.1 software is composed of the SNACC Compiler and the SNACC 
Library.  The SNACC Compiler is covered by the attached GNU General Public 
License (GPL).  The GPL states that the subject software may be freely 
distributed if the distributor: provides all source code for the subject 
software; does not charge for the use of the subject software; and provides
a 
copy of the GPL along with the subject software. The SNACC Library software
is 
completely unencumbered.  None of the GNU public licenses apply to the SNACC

Library.

Under contract to the U.S. Government, J.G. Van Dyke and Associates, Inc
(VDA), 
has made enhancements to the SNACC Compiler and Library.  VDA has clearly
marked 
all enhancements made to the SNACC Compiler as required by the GNU GPL.  The
SFL 
Public License applies to the enhancements that VDA has made to the SNACC 
Compiler and Library.  VDA has met the requirements of the GNU GPL
including: 
providing all source code for the enhanced SNACC Compiler; freely
distributing 
the enhanced SNACC Compiler; and providing a copy of the GPL along with the 
enhanced SNACC Compiler. 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++"

The GNU General Public License can be retrieved from
http://www.fsf.org/copyleft/gpl.html.  The SFL public license can be
retrieved from the aforementioned VDA SFL web page.

============================================================
John Pawling, [email-masked]                             
J.G. Van Dyke & Associates, Inc.
www.jgvandyke.com         
============================================================

---

From: "Aram Perez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 08:57:32 -0700

> following excerpt from the SFL Public License.
[snip]

Having used SNACC I agree with most of what John wrote. However, the trouble
with SNACC is that is does not support the latest ASN.1. I'm pretty sure
that you cannot compile all of the PKIX ASN.1 modules with it.

Regards,
Aram Perez