Subject: RE: certificate policies % xml

From: "Scherling, Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 09:25:50 -0700

Hi Phil, I've been working on creating an XML Certificate Policy (CP) and am
wondering if this is an appropriate place for me to submit some of my work?
I've created a basic XML CP and am working on creating a more formal
language definition for policies so it can be read by applications.  When I
initially started in PKI, I was on the team that created the Canadian
Government CPs.  I also helped them with policy mapping for cross
certification.  If you are interested I can send you an XML CP and
associated DTD.  It's a basic XML document and there needs to be more
elements and attributes defined to make it machine readable. 

Please let me know if I can help.

Cheers

-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Griffin [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2001 5:54 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: lista-pkix
Subject: Re: certificate policies % xml

Hi Francesco,

X9.79, a US national standard for certificate policies and
practices in the financial services industry, has recently
passed ballot in X9 (http://www.x9.org). On passage, it was
submitted to and accepted by ISO TC68 (http://www.tc68.org)
as a primary input to a new work item for the creation of
an international standard. This work is designated as ISO 
21188.

This work will be performed in subcommittee 2 of working 
group 8 (SC2/WG8). The first meeting to start work on this
item will be held in London the week of November 26-30. If
you are interested, there is still plenty of time left to
submit a contribution.

Italy is a permanent member of TC68, though not currently
active in WG8. Information on making contributions to this
work through your national body can be obtained from Ente
Nazionale Italiano di Unificazione (http://www.unicei.it).

Though I have not yet proposed a formal contribution, I have
been considering how I might use the new ASN.1 value notation 
(http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/xml/#xml-notation) to establish
and identify standard policy and practices formats inside
ASN.1-based objects.

These formats would be specified using XML markup rooted
to an ASN.1 schema. The markup could be embedded directly
in UTF8String payloads paired to object identifiers. Or
as an alternative, the XML markup values could be encoded
compactly using BER and embedded in OCTET STRINGs. The
later could be decoded directly into XML markup.

Either approach would allow the same markup to be used in 
X.509 certificates, and in both ASN.1-based or XML-based 
applications (regardless of whether they rely on markup 
alone, DTDs, or one of the emerging XML schemas).

In the least, using a structured, embedded payload would 
provide support to using applications for the formatted
display of policy and practices information. At best, such
an approach might provide a common agreed format that allows
policies and practices specified in different national 
languages to be compared and evaluated by tools.

But this topic is likely fringe to this list, so please 
contact me off line if you'd like to discuss the matter
further.

Phil Griffin

"[email-masked]" wrote:
> 
> I'm Francesco Di Sivo, a sw-engineer at the GRID work group
> at the University of Naples (www.grid,unina.it). I'm
> studing with prof. Antonino Mazzeo ([email-masked]) the
> interoperability inter pki domain by the certificate policy
> comparability. Our work is concerned aroun the idea that if
> a certificate policy is formalized in a computer
> processable language as XML the trsut intra pki is
> automatic.
> Is there only a idea or you could refer to us some work or
> pubblication that must have a citation in our pubblication?
> On this issue I have only the link
> http://www.acsac.org/2000/papers/104.pdf
> 
> Thanks in advance,
> Francesco Di Sivo,
> [email-masked]

---

From: Phil Griffin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 12:43:33 -0400

Mark,

That would be great if you could share. May
I also have permission to post these to the 
TC68 WG8 web site?

Thanks,

Phil Griffin