Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-new-part1-07.txt

From: "Tom Gindin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 15:50:56 -0400

I think the third sentence should be replaced by: "A delta CRL is
considered to be a current one if the current time is between the times
contained in the thisUpdate and nextUpdate fields."  Then the last sentence
becomes: "If more than one current delta CRL for a given scope is
encountered, the application MUST consider the one with the latest value in
thisUpdate to be the most current one; while if only one current delta CRL
for a given scope is encountered, the application MUST consider it to be
the most current one."
     This way the terms "current" and "most current" match their usual
meanings somewhat more closely than in the earlier text.

          Tom Gindin

"Housley, Russ" <[email-masked]>@mail.imc.org on 06/26/2001
03:02:34 PM

Sent by:  [email-masked]

To:   "David P. Kemp" <[email-masked]>
cc:   [email-masked]
Subject:  Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-new-part1-07.txt

Dave:

Good point.  I propose to revise the text as follows:

    An application that supports delta CRLs MUST be able to construct a
    current complete CRL by combining a previously issued complete CRL
    and the most current delta CRL.  An application that supports delta
    CRLs MAY also be able to construct a current complete CRL by
    combining a previously locally constructed compete CRL and the most
    current delta CRL.  A delta CRL is considered to be the most current
    one if the current time is between the times contained in the
    thisUpdate and nextUpdate fields.  Under some circumstances, the CRL
    issuer may publish one or more delta CRLs before indicated by the
    nextUpdate field.  If an application encounters more than one delta
    CRL for a given scope for which the current time is between
    thisUpdate and nextUpdate, the application MUST consider the delta
    CRL with the latest thisUpdate to be the most current.

Russ

At 03:53 PM 6/25/2001 -0400, David P. Kemp wrote:

>"Housley, Russ" wrote:
> >
> > >Now the reason to separate the two cases is that before using a
locally
> > >constructed CRL you have to build it, this is covered by the MUST
> statement.
> > >Using locally constructed CRLs is an optimization that does not need
to be
> > >supported. Hence why it is covered under a MAY statement. In other
> words, an
> > >implementation may be conformant without the need to implement the
> > >optimization case.
> >
> > We agree.  That is handled in a different paragraph.  With the sentence
> > that I agreed to add, the paragraph that I am referring to reads:
> >
> >     An application that supports delta CRLs MUST be able to construct a
> >     current complete CRL by combining a previously issued complete CRL
> >     and the most current delta CRL.  An application that supports delta
> >     CRLs MAY also be able to construct a current complete CRL by
> >     combining a previously locally constructed compete CRL and the most
> >     current delta CRL.  A delta CRL is considered to be the most
current
> >     one, if and only if the current time is between the times contained
> >     in the thisUpdate and nextUpdate fields.
>
>
>In the last sentence "the most current one" could be interpreted to mean
>that there can be only one most-current CRL.  I would agree with it
>if and only if it were followed by an indication that unscheduled
>CRLs are permitted.  Something like:
>
>       Note: there may be more than one delta CRL for a given scope
>       for which the current time is between thisUpdate and nextUpdate.
>       An application that has two or more such CRLs should consider
>       the one with the latest thisUpdate to be the most current.
>
>
>Dave
>
>P.S. The comma in the last sentence should be removed.

---

From: "Housley, Russ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 08:28:27 -0400

Tom:

This is okay with me.  Stuff like this happens when a paragraph is written,
rewritten, amended, and ....

Russ

---

From: "Carlin Covey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 12:16:22 -0700

Russ, I was going to suggest a small change to the wording of
the sentence "A delta CRL is considered to be the most current...", 
but I see that Tom's text neatly solves the problem.  Consider
this a second to his proposal.

Regards,

Carlin

____________________________

-  Carlin Covey
   Cylink Corporation 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Tom Gindin
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2001 12:51 PM
To: Housley, Russ
Cc: David P. Kemp; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-new-part1-07.txt

          Tom Gindin

Dave:

Russ

locally
to be
current