Subject: Re: Online Certificate Revocation Protocol

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 23:54:45 (NZST)

Tony Bartoletti <[email-masked]> writes:

>Assuming that the entity which lost their private key wanted another
>certificate with a new key pair but wanted the same name. What would
>happen if their were two certificates in existance with the same name?
>Wouldn't the CA not allow this? 
 
CMP already does this via key update request handling, which issues a new cert 
which duplicates an existing one (and having had to implement this I can tell 
you that it's a right bastard to do if your CA has built-in security rules to 
prevent this situation from occurring).
 
Peter.

---

From: Tony Bartoletti <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 11:23:05 -0700

Peter,

You are "quoting" (indenting?) Hansen Wangs words, not mine.
(Darn Software :)

___tony___

>prevent this situation from occurring).

Tony Bartoletti 925-422-3881 <[email-masked]>
Information Operations, Warfare and Assurance Center
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Livermore, CA 94551-9900