Subject: Removing expired certificates from CRLs.....

From: Ryan Hurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 20:49:40 -0700

I was speaking with Peter Williams today about the removal of expired
certificates from CRLs; I have always been under the belief that this
behavior was optional, I vaguely remembered reading text in 2459 along those
lines; additionally I know of several commercial CAs that do not remove the
expired certificates from their CRLs. Peter on the other hand was under the
impression that it was a mandate to remove CRLs; he too remembered reading
text in 2459 to support is position.
 
So we each pulled out the RFC and found that we were both right!
Specifically both sections 3.3 and 8.6.2.2 have text on this subject:
 
3.3  Revocation
When a certificate is issued, it is expected to be in use for its entire
validity period.  However, various circumstances may cause a certificate to
become invalid prior to the expiration of the validity period.
 
....
 
An entry is added to the CRL as part of the next update following
notification of revocation. An entry may be removed from the CRL after
appearing on one regularly scheduled CRL issued beyond the revoked
certificate's validity period.

8.6.2.2 Issuing distribution point extension
This CRL extension field identifies the CRL distribution point for this
particular CRL, and indicates if the CRL is limited to revocations for
end-entity certificates only, for authority certificates only, or for a
limited set of reasons only. The CRL is signed by the CRL issuer's key- CRL
distribution points do not have their own key pairs. However, for a CRL
distributed via the Directory, the CRL is stored in the entry of the CRL
distribution point, which may not be the directory entry of the CRL issuer.
If this field is absent, the CRL shall contain entries for all revoked
unexpired certificates issued by the CRL issuer.
 
....
 
The distributionPoint component contains the name of the distribution point
in one or more name forms. If this field is absent, the CRL shall contain
entries for all revoked certificates issued by the CRL issuer. After a
certificate appears on a CRL, it is deleted from a subsequent CRL after the
certificate's expiry.

Although section 8.6.2.2 is specifically in regards to CRLdps, any
difference between full CRLs and CRLdps in this case I feel would be an
arbitrary one. 
 
Now logically it makes sense to remove certificates that are expired from
CRLs to control size, yes this has a negative point specifically it prevents
CRLs from being used as a non-repudiation source; but this is mute due to
many other issues.
 
That being the case I think; and I believe Peter would agree the correct
thing to do is to remove these expired/revoked entries from the CRL. 
 
The question now is what is the PKIX stance on this matter?
 
Ryan M. Hurst
ValiCert, Inc.
 
"It may roundly be asserted that human ingenuity cannot concoct a cipher
which human ingenuity cannot resolve."
-Edgar Allan Poe

---

From: li yunfeng <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 21:13:53 +0800 (CST)

Ryan:
I now  are developing PKIX software, and encouted the
same question as yours, Because befor one can check
the CRL, one may first check  the certificate's
validate period. So I think remove the expired
certificate from the CRL will be benefit to keep the
CRL small at least 

forward li

 --- Ryan Hurst <[email-masked]> 的正文：> I was
speaking with Peter Williams today about the
> removal of expired

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!? 登录免费雅虎电邮! http://mail.yahoo.com.cn

<font color=#6666FF>无聊？郁闷？高兴？没理由？都来聊天吧！</font>―― 
雅虎全新聊天室! http://cn.chat.yahoo.com/c/roomlist.html