Subject: Re: draft-ietf-pkix-dsv-dpv-dpd-req-00.txt

From: Peter Sylvester <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 19:48:00 +0100 (MET)

> >
> >Are You talking about ONE client that sometimes may want just yes no,
> >and sometimes it wants more, or about two different types of usage
> >scenarios, or of different clients, or ..
> 
> I am talking about one "client", but not one application. A client 
> could (should!) be an OS function, and that client has applications 
> that ask it for either yes/no or a good chain.

Ok, then: replace client by application in my previous question.
 
> 
> >You text described three options for DPV ?
> >
> >- please tell yes or no.
> >- please only return THE path used for validation without telling
> >   whether it is good;
> >- both of the previous ones?
> 
> Correct. You might want both so you can act immediately on a yes but 
                          ????
> store the chain for later use, such as if you are online now but you 
> know you won't be later.
> 

Are you sure that you have THREE options, in particular does one
really need the second one, asking for a path without saying whether
it is good or not?

---

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 17:34:41 -0800

>Ok, then: replace client by application in my previous question.

Probably an application would only want one type of answer 
consistently, but I suspect that someone could think up a situation 
where one application would want different types of answers at 
different times.

>really need the second one, asking for a path without saying whether

Yes, we want each one. The yes/no answer must be signed, which takes 
non-trivial system resources on the part of the server. The path does 
not need to be signed. The third option (both yes/no and path) is 
still valuable for the reason I gave.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium