Subject: Re: Using DSA generated keys for RSA encryption

From: "Tolga Acar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 11:24:33 -0700

No.
They are different algorithms, and keys are not interchangeable.

Why not: RSA is finding the e-th root of an integer module a composite
integer (integer factorization problem would provide a solution as
well), while DSA is based on the discrete logarithm problem in the
subgroup Zp*.

More plain words, you don't have the primes in RSA [public] key to
construct the DSA subgroup.

Best,
- Tolga
>>> "Raghavendran H. (SSG) - CTD, Chennai." <[email-masked]>
12/13/01 8:37:28 >>>

Hi List:

I know this might be a rather dumb question:

Can I use DSA keys for RSA encryption? If yes, why? If no, why not?

Regards,
Raghav

****************************************************************************
**********************************************
Disclaimer:

This document is intended for transmission to the named recipient only.
 If
you are not that person, you should note that legal rights reside in
this
document and you are not authorized to access, read, disclose, copy,
use or
otherwise deal with it and any such actions are prohibited and may be
unlawful. The views expressed in this document are not necessarily
those of
HCL Technologies Ltd. Notice is hereby given that no representation,
contract or other binding obligation shall be created by this e-mail,
which
must be interpreted accordingly. Any representations, contractual
rights or
obligations shall be separately communicated in writing and signed in
the
original by a duly authorized officer of the relevant company.

****************************************************************************
**********************************************

---

From: "Housley, Russ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 18:45:27 -0500

>Can I use DSA keys for RSA encryption? If yes, why? If no, why not?

No they have a different mathematical structure.

Russ

============================================================================
================
This e-mail, its content and any files transmitted with it are intended
solely for the addressee(s) and are PRIVILEGED and 
CONFIDENTIAL.  Access by any other party is unauthorized without the express
prior written permission of the sender.  If 
you have received this e-mail in error you may not copy, disclose to any
third party or use the contents, attachments or 
information in any way, Please delete all copies of the e-mail and the
attachment(s), if any and notify the sender. 
Thank You.
============================================================================
================