Subject: CDP CRL format?

From: "Marc Poulaud" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 11:14:13 +0100

In relation to a CRL that is pointed at by the URI contained in a cert's
CDP, what *typically* might you expect the format of the CRL to be in? I'd
thought this would be an x.509x2 CRL wrapped in a PKCS#7.

Do some applications or platforms expect/want something else?

I've noticed that on a particular server that hold CRLs (from a Verisign
CA), there are a number of files of different formats. One file is LatestCRL
and another is LatestCRL.crl (amongst others). Anybody know what the
difference might be?

Thanks,
Marc
______________________________

iSolve Ltd
Making eTrust happen

Tel:     +44 (0)7718 209 990
Email: [email-masked]
Web:   www.i-solve.co.uk
______________________________

---

From: Massimiliano Pala <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 18:55:27 +0200

Marc Poulaud wrote:
> CDP, what *typically* might you expect the format of the CRL to be in? 
> I'd thought this would be an x.509x2 CRL wrapped in a PKCS#7.
>  

Some applications do want Base64 or binary DER encoded CRLs (Netscape does).

> CA), there are a number of files of different formats. One file is 
> LatestCRL and another is LatestCRL.crl (amongst others). Anybody know 
> what the difference might be?

Probably to handle the mimetype directly within the web-server (take a look
at the .crl datatype handling in the example apache config file).

-- 

C'you,

	Massimiliano Pala

--o-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Massimiliano Pala [OpenCA Project Manager]                [email-masked]
                                                      [email-masked]
http://www.openca.org                            Tel.:   +39 (0)59  270  094
http://openca.sourceforge.net                    Mobile: +39 (0)347 7222 365