Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-logotypes-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 07:57:18 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509) Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Logotypes in 
                          X.509 certificates
	Author(s)	: S. Santesson, R. Housley, T. Freeman
	Filename	: draft-ietf-pkix-logotypes-04.txt
	Pages		: 19
	Date		: 2002-9-3
	
This document specifies a certificate extension for including
logotypes in public key certificates and attribute certificates.
Please send comments on this document to the [email-masked]
mailing list.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-logotypes-04.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-pkix-logotypes-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-logotypes-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Denis Pinkas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 12:22:33 +0200

>         Filename        : draft-ietf-pkix-logotypes-04.txt

On the top page the document is marked: June 2002.
On the next pages it is marked: July 2002.
The document has been issued in September 2002.

:-(

The current definition of a community logotype is as follows:

   The community logotype - is the general mark for a community. It
   identifies a service concept for entity identification and
   certificate issuance. Many issuers may use a community logotype to
   co-brand with a global community in order to gain global recognition
   of its local service provision. This type of community branding is
   very common in the credit card business where local independent card
   issuers include a globally recognized brand (such as VISA and
   MasterCard).

I would propose to rephrase it the following way, so that it is more
apparent that the community logotype relates to the issuer. 

   The community logotype - is a logotype representing the
   community or communities to which the certificate issuer belongs to.
   This general mark for a community may only be used when the issuer 
   has satisfied all the conditions required by that community. These 
   conditions generally include rules for entity identification and 
   revocation requests as well as technical standards to be supported 
   for certificate issuance and certificate revocation status availability. 
   Many issuers may use a community logotype to co-brand with a global 
   community in order to gain global recognition of its local service 
   provision. This type of community branding is very common in the 
   credit card business where local independent card issuers include 
   a globally recognized brand (such as VISA and MasterCard).

Denis

---

From: "Stefan Santesson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 14:45:16 +0200

Denis,

Sorry for the date mix-up. It's my fault.
The Majority of the draft was written during the Yokohama meeting but
vacations took it longer to get it out of our computers.

Regarding the community logotype I slightly disagree with your text
proposal.
This is a technical standard and this is not the place to dictate what it
takes to have the right to use a certain logotype,
which is a separate and complicated legal issue solved on a business basis.

The only thing we can say for sure is that the presence of a community
logotype is a statement by the issuer that it claims to have the right to
use this logotype according to whatever rules the owner of the logotype has
set up for its legitimate use.

I'm not sure that it's always right to say that the issuer needs to be a
"member" of that community. The thing that matters is that the issuer has
obtained the right for the particular certificate in question. But that
depends on what meaning you attach to "member" and I'm not sure if that word
has a defined legal meaning that limits the scope beyond what we want to
dictate.

/Stefan

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Denis Pinkas
> Sent: Thursday, September 05, 2002 12:23 PM
> To: pkix
> Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-logotypes-04.txt
>
>
>