Subject: RE: Algorithm OIDs for SHA-256, SHA-384, SHA-512 and releated sig natures

From: "Housley, Russ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 19:29:27 -0400

Terry:

The most recent PKCS#1 ASN.1 module includes:

   --
   -- When the following OIDs are used in an AlgorithmIdentifier the
   -- parameters MUST be present and MUST be NULL.
   --
   md2WithRSAEncryption       OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { pkcs-1 2 }
   md5WithRSAEncryption       OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { pkcs-1 4 }
   sha1WithRSAEncryption      OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { pkcs-1 5 }
   sha256WithRSAEncryption    OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { pkcs-1 11 }
   sha384WithRSAEncryption    OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { pkcs-1 12 }
   sha512WithRSAEncryption    OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { pkcs-1 13 }

Russ

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Sent: 9/9/02 6:42 PM
Subject: Algorithm OIDs for SHA-256, SHA-384, SHA-512 and releated
signatures

Now that FIPS 180-2 will be effective in Feburary 2003, it's time to
implement them in cryptographic libraries and in protocol
implementations. However I have not been able to find official
definitions of the OID values for these new algorithms.

I've seen the following values proposed as the OIDs for the new SHA
variants:

    SHA-256:    2.16.840.1.101.3.4.2.1
    SHA-384:    2.16.840.1.101.3.4.2.2
    SHA-512:    2.16.840.1.101.3.4.2.3

My source for these called these values "provisional."  Is there an
official definition somewhere?

In addition to OIDs for the hash functions themselves, additional OIDs
need to be defined for other operations that use them.  In particular, a
value for sha-256WithRSAEncryption should be defined as soon as
possible.  I expect that this algorithm will become popular fairly
quickly, replacing sha-1WithRSAEncryption in deployments that want an
effective security level of 128 bits.  sha-256WithRSAEncryption should
also be added to the PKIX algorithms RFC (probably as a SHOULD) at the
next opportunity.

Who will be defining sha-256WithRSAEncryption?

Terry Hayes
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: [email-masked] (Terry Hayes)
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 17:25:19 -0700

Thanks Russ for the pointers to the new RSA values.  I hadn't noticed the
June update to PKCS #1.

I see that the latest PKCS #1 update, the lastest S/MIME RSAES-OAEP draft
and the latest PKIX supplimental algorithms draft all refer to the new hash
algorithms using the OIDs that I had seen previously.

Is there any timetable for an official publication of these OIDs, perhaps
on the CSOR page at NIST (http://csrc.nist.gov/csor/algorithms.htm)?

Terry

Housley, Russ wrote:

Terry:

--

--

Russ

-----Original Message-----

To: [email-masked]

Sent: 9/9/02 6:42 PM

signatures

variants:

next opportunity.

Terry Hayes

---

From: "Housley, Russ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 12:52:15 -0400

Terry:

It is my understanding from Tim Polk that these OIDs are official.  I do 
not know the method that will be used to publish them.

Russ

At 05:25 PM 9/9/2002 -0700, Terry Hayes wrote:
>and the latest PKIX supplimental algorithms draft all refer to the new 
>hash algorithms using the OIDs that I had seen previously.
>
>on the CSOR page at NIST 
>(<http://csrc.nist.gov/csor/algorithms.htm>http://csrc.nist.gov/csor/algorithms.htm)?
>
>Terry
>
>Housley, Russ wrote:
>
>>Terry:
>>
>>From: <mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked]
>>To: <mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked]
>>Sent: 9/9/02 6:42 PM
>><mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>>