Subject: Re: A challenge

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 10:16:18 -0700

one of the factors driving 7816 standardization/commoditization in the '80s
was that 7816 was a portable computing device ... but was dependent upon
somewhat ubiquitous deployment of (stationary) input/output stations.

the appearance of intergrated portable input/output technology (cellphones
& pds) in the early '90s started to chip away at the original 7816 target
market.

further eroding this target market is the spread of numerous
contractless/wireless technologies. a big part of the 7816 standardization
was the requirement for physical interoperability between the portable 7816
devices and the input/output stations. contactless technologies enable
arbritrary form-factors .... further chiping away at the 7816
standardization.

for the aads chip strawman
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/index.html#aadstraw

in '98 timeframe, i had somewhat facetiously claimed that i would take a
$500 milspec part and cost-reduce it by two-orders of magnitude while
improving the integrity.

at an assurance panel in the TCPA track at the intel developer's
conference, i claimed that the chip met all the function/requirements of
the TPM (and was finalized much earlier) and was equivalent to the best of
integrity from gov. agencies. One of the TCPA people in the audience
commented that wasn't fair since I didn't have a committee of 200 people
helping me. One of the people on the panel from a gov. TLA replied that it
was possibly true except in the area of radiation hardening. past tcpa
related posts:

--
Internet trivia, 20th anv: http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/rfcietff.htm