Subject: DPD/DPV Protocol Selection

From: Tim Polk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 14:57:14 -0500

Folks,

After some delay, it is finally time to settle on a single PKIX WG protocol 
for DPD/DPV.  Steve and I have been mulling over the results from the 
strawpoll, as well as the technical content of the messages posted to the 
list.  As you all are aware, we have been adamant that the WG advance only 
one protocol for DPD/DPV.  However, that is not the only important 
factor.  We are also adamant that (1) the protocol must have adequate 
support among implementers, (2) the protocol MUST satisfy the requirements 
specified in RFC 3379, and (3) the protocol be mature enough for completion 
soon.

As the co-chairs, we needed to satisfy ourselves that the process was not a 
beauty contest, and had chosen a technically sound engineering solution.

After much consideration, Steve and I are satisfied that SCVP is the best 
choice as the PKIX WG protocol for DPD/DPV.  Let me outline the rationale:

(1) The protocol must have adequate support among implementers.

The strawpoll voting results were: SCVP 26; OCSP 15; DVCS 8; and CVP 2 out 
of 51 total votes.  These numbers include a vote from Denis for CVP, even 
though he never officially submitted one, but exclude XKMS and ABSTAIN votes.

The numbers are clear if not overwhelming.  SCVP garnered just a bit more 
than 50% of the votes.  OCSP got just under 30%.  DVCS got almost 16% and 
CVP 4%.  Based on the strawpoll, SCVP has the most support from 
respondents.  OCSP also has relatively strong support.  DVCS and CVP fall 
short in this category.

(2) The protocol MUST satisfy the requirements specified in RFC 3379.

It is my opinion that each of the four protocols *could* satisfy the 
requirements, given sufficient time.  The question before us, though, is 
how close are the current proposals.  Based on the respective compliance 
matrices, and the subsequent analysis performed by Denis, none of the 
current submissions is perfect.  However, the compliance matrices imply 
that SCVP is closer to satisfying the requirements than either OCSP or 
DVCS.  While no one performed that same analysis for Denis' matrix, I 
believe that CVP's compliance is roughly that of SCVP, since it was 
designed using 3379.

So, SCVP and CVP seem closest to the requirements at this time.

(3) The protocol be mature enough for completion soon.

OCSP and DVCS have been RFCs for some time, so their base protocols are 
clearly mature.  However, the extensions that are needed to support DPD/DPV 
are significantly less mature.  Moreover, the changes needed by clients and 
servers to make use of these extensions to OCSP are substantial, vastly 
greater in complexity that the current OCSP protocol. Thus the installed 
OCSP client & server base for OCSP does not represent a significant head 
start for this protocol vs. the others.  CVP is a very recent development, 
having cycled at Internet-Draft just a few times.  SCVP is not an RFC, but 
is currently at draft 11, we have implementation experience, and it has 
been tweaked and polished throughout the requirements process.

In short, SCVP appears best positioned for swift completion.

Based on this analysis, we are affirming the results of the strawpoll, and 
SCVP is *the* PKIX WG protocol for DPD/DPV.  I want to encourage everyone 
to stay involved, even if your favorite protocol was not SCVP.  We are in 
the home stretch, but there is still work to do.

Here is the way forward, in our view. Denis' analysis of the SCVP 
compliance matrix raises an initial set of questions.  These issues need to 
be discussed on the list, and if the WG agrees that changes to SCVP are 
required, modifications will be proposed (by the editors, or WG 
membership).  Once rough consensus is achieved on those issues, the editors 
can submit a new draft.  At that point, we intend to initiate WG Last 
Call.  Any final issues can be hammered out, then the document forwarded to 
the ADs.

Steve and I want to thank everyone for their participation.  First, the 
editors should be applauded for their efforts in developing the compliance 
matrices.  We know that was a difficult and time-consuming task.  Denis' 
analysis of the SCVP, OCSP, and DVCS compliance matrices was a very 
significant contribution.   Those that reviewed, commented, and voted in 
the strawpoll put in significant efforts as well.  Finally, we need to 
recognize Denis and Russ for completing RFC 3379, which made it possible to 
complete the selection process.

Thanks,

Tim Polk