Subject: Fw: I want to coin a term if I can... its called "Digital Perjury"...

From: "todd glassey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 14:45:57 -0700

Hi there,
I want to formally add a new term to this organizations vocabulary.  Its
"Digital Perjury" and we will be working on a formal set of definitions in
the ISC's Digital Evidence WG.

More coming soon on this.

Todd Glassey
"technical wordsmith"

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "todd glassey" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, May 12, 2003 1:43 PM
Subject: I want to coin a term if I can... its called "Digital Perjury"...

The Term is Digital Perjury and refers to the fraudulent creation of a
digital token under eSign or other local/regional ordinance or statute. Or
the fraudulent submission of a token to certify and act that is constrained
under the umbrella of the eSign or other DSA legislation.

any other ideas?

Todd

To unsubscribe send the following in the body of a message to
[email-masked]  - unsubscribe st-isc

---

From: Tony Bartoletti <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 16:13:56 -0700

Hi Todd,

(I love definitions and dictionaries)

You might want to be a bit circumspect in the term "Digital Perjury".

If I was in Utah at the time of a given crime, I can lie to my friends and 
say I was in Idaho.  Not perjury, of course.  I can lie to police 
investigators (and be charged with obstruction of justice, aiding and 
abetting, interference with an investigation, etc, but NOT with 
perjury.)  And if, under oath in a court proceeding, I state truthfully 
that I was indeed in Utah, NONE of my previous lies represent perjury.

While I am unfamiliar with the specifics of "digital token under eSign or 
other local/regional ordinance or statute", I have to wonder if every 
instance of fraudulence can be held tantamount to perjury, that each 
instance of (such) signature is to be held equivalent to "an oath taken 
before a court proceeding".

I believe, only fraudulent creation of tokens demanded under subpoena may 
be deemed evidence of perjury.

The mere fact that a lie I tell might eventually become evidence in a legal 
process is (IMHO) insufficient to warrant the term "perjury".

Just my thoughts on the issue.

Cheers!  ____tony____

>[email-masked]  - unsubscribe st-isc

Tony Bartoletti 925-422-3881 <[email-masked]>
Information Operations and Assurance Center
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Livermore, CA 94551-9900