Subject: RE: draft-ietf-pkix-rfc2511bis

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 14:11:44 -0400

Carlisle:

Thanks for getting back to me.  It would be very helpful if the
document included a section on changes since RFC 2511.  We included
a similar section in RFC 3280 that describes the changes since RFC
2459.  In that section, you can say that the inconsistency was
corrected.

Can you post a proposal for such a section?

Russ

At 09:54 AM 5/1/2003 -0400, Carlisle Adams wrote:

Hi
Russ,

In RFC 2511, the body of the spec (in Section 7, on
page 11) says that {id-regInfo 1} is called
"id-regInfo-asciiPairs" with a syntax of OCTET STRING, but the
ASN.1 module (a few lines before the END statement, on page 23) says that
this same OID is called "id-regInfo-utf8Pairs" with a syntax of
UTF8String.

The change made in rfc2511bis was to correct this
error and align the text in the body of the spec with the ASN.1
module.  Thus, both places now say that the {id-regInfo 1} OID is
called "id-regInfo-utf8Pairs" with a syntax of
UTF8String.  There was no intent to change the semantics of an
existing OID.

Carlisle.

-----Original Message-----

From: Russ Housley
[mailto:[email-masked]]

Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 9:54 AM

To: [email-masked]

Subject: draft-ietf-pkix-rfc2511bis

I am concerned about the change that is illustrated below (please
excuse the HTML).

-- Registration Info in CRMF

id-regInfo       OBJECT

IDENTIFIER ::= { id-pkip id-regInfo(2) }

id-regInfo-asciiPairs

id-regInfo-utf8Pairs

OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { id-regInfo 1 }

--with syntax

OCTET
STRING

UTF8STRING

id-regInfo-certReq
OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { id-regInfo 2 }

--with syntax CertRequest

First, I am concerned about the change in the semantics associated
with an OID that was assigned a long time ago.  This could lead to
interoperability issues.  Why would we change the semantics of an
existing OID instead of assigning a new OID.

Second, this change does not show up in the ASN.1 module.  Why
are the OIDs not part of the ASN.1 module?

Russ