Subject: The value of qualified certificates

From: "Anders Rundgren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 12:26:50 +0200

I'm wondering what the value of qualified certificates is,
when e-governments in country after country, buy certificates
from commercial CAs where each CA (or CA network) requires
a business contract with each RP.  As these contracts regulate
liabilities etc. it seems that the legal implications of qualified
certificates become limited or are eliminated.  What's left seems
to only be a certificate profile. I.e. a "format".  Among many such.

Just my 2 (EU) cents

Anders R

---

From: "Stefan Kelm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 14:30:16 +0200

Anders,

> to only be a certificate profile. I.e. a "format".  Among many such.

Good point.

In this regard you might want to have a look at a report titled "The 
Legal and Market Aspects of Electronic Signatures" which has been 
published by the European Commission only yesterday: 

http://europa.eu.int/information_society/eeurope/2005/index_en.htm  

Cheers,

	Stefan.
--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.Anti-Spam-Symposium.de  18.-19. November 2003
--------------------------------------------------------
Dipl.-Inform. Stefan Kelm
Security Consultant

Secorvo Security Consulting GmbH
Albert-Nestler-Strasse 9, D-76131 Karlsruhe

Tel. +49 721 6105-461, Fax +49 721 6105-455
E-Mail [email-masked], http://www.secorvo.de/
-------------------------------------------------------
PGP Fingerprint 87AE E858 CCBC C3A2 E633 D139 B0D9 212B