Subject: Draft PKIX Agenda for 58th IETF

From: Tim Polk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:46:22 -0500

Folks,

I have appended a draft agenda.  Okay, so I didn't meet my goal of 
Monday....sigh.

As Peter Sylvester pointed out to me, *that's* why the U.S. Men can't win 
the World Cup.  We keep missing the goal.  That means I come by it 
honestly, right?

Thanks!

Tim

[P.S.  If I was true to form, I will have missed at least one agenda 
request in my mail box.  If that is you, please let me know ASAP so I can 
correct it.]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PKIX WG (pkix-wg)

MONDAY, November 10, 2003 1530-1730

=================================

CHAIR Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>, Tim Polk <[email-masked]>

AGENDA

1. WG Status and Direction

1.1 Document Status Review [Tim Polk (NIST)]

       The working group has a number of Internet-Drafts.  Many
       documents are with the ADs or in various stages of WG Last Call.
       Several others are ready for Last Call. (10 min.)

1.2 Proposed WG Milestones [Tim Polk (NIST)]

       The working group milestones are out of date.  New milestones are
       needed; these milestones need to satisfy IESG direction for an orderly
       closeout of WG activities. (10 min.)

2. PKIX WG Specifications

    2.1  Subject Identification Method  [TBD]

       http//www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-sim-01.txt

       The current SIM draft introduces a number of new parameters.
       While these parameters add additional complexity, they were
       required to satisfy the draft's security requirements.  The presentation
       will focus on the security requirements and proposed solution.
       Open issues will also be identified.  (10 min.)

    2.2 LDAP Schemas, String Values, and more
                                - David Chadwick (Univ of Salford)

       The WG has a suite of LDAP-PKIX drafts forming a comprehensive solution
       for LDAP based PKI information distribution.  New drafts will be 
published
       soon after this meeting; the presenter will discuss changes that will
       appear in the new drafts.  (15 min.)

    2.3 Qualified Certificates             Stefan Santesson

       http//www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-sonof3039-02.txt

       Work on the QC document has continued in both PKIX and ETSI.
       At least one more draft is envisioned; this presentation will decsribe
       planned updates and propose a path for completion of the QC document.
       (10 min.)

    2.4 Certification Path Building        Peter Hesse (Orion Security)

       http//www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-certpathbuild-01.txt

       This document was written to provide guidance and
       recommendations to developers building X.509 public-key certification
       paths within their applications.  The next draft is aimed for WG Last
       Call; the presenter will discuss changes since -00 and additional
       changes projected for the forthcoming -02 draft. (10 min.)

    2.5  Certstore HTTP                    Peter Gutmann

       http//www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-certstore-http-05.txt 

       This draft proposes new procedures for certificate retrieval from
       an HTTP based repository.  Progression of this document would
       result in conflicting PKI protocols for HTTP-based repositories,
       and has not been able to progress.  (5 min.)

    2.6  OCSP                               Mike Myers (FastQ)

       http//www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-certstore-http-05.txt 

       A number of issues regarding OCSP have resurfaced on the mailing
       list.  The presenter will summarize the issues from the mailing
       list and present a way forward.  (5 min.)

3. Liaison/Related Projects

    The following specifications will update the WG on related activities.

    3.1 OASIS PKI survey                        Steve Hanna (Sun)

       The OASIS Public Key Infrastructure Technical Committee
       conducted a web-based survey to identify the key barriers
       to PKI deployment and usage.  The TC is currently developing an Action
       to address these barriers.  The presentation will address the survey
       results and preview the action plan. (15 min.)

    3.2 Path Validation Protection Profiles     Tim Polk (NIST)

       NIST is currently performing the interoperability testing for RFC 3280.
       One aspect of that effort is the RFC 3280 path validation test suite
       developed jointly by NIST, DigitalNet, and NSA.  To promote independnet
       testing based on the test suite, NIST has submitted protection profiles
       for path validation modules for NIAP validation. (10 min.)