Subject: RE: Call for volunteers for a ECC subject public key info design team

From: "Stefan Santesson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 02:59:35 +0100

We have received three volunteers to make up this Design Team.

These are:

Tim Polk, NIST (chair)

Brian Minard, Certicom

Tolga Acar, Microsoft

I have asked them to form the design team and immediately start to seek
a resolution that can be presented to this wg at San Diego, and if
possible posted to the list before San Diego for the group to consider.

Stefan Santesson

Senior Program Manager

Windows Security, Standards

From: Stefan Santesson 
Sent: den 29 september 2006 04:49
To: [email-masked]
Cc: 'Stephen Kent'
Subject: Call for volunteers for a ECC subject public key info design
team

We have since quite some time had two diverse positions on how to
specify subject public key info for ECC public keys in X.509
certificates.

On one hand the current proposal embracing the ANSI solution with a
structured subject public key info that has the capacity to specify
algorithm modes, and the RFC 4055 approach on the other hand using a
single OID to specify algorithm and parameters.

As other groups are dependent on our progress on this issue, in
particular the Kerberos group, the Security ADs has requested us to form
a design team to prepare a decision for the WG.

The design team shall;

(1) be made up of no more than five people.

(2) interview (via the phone and/or e-mail) concerned parties.

(3) document the pros and cons of each proposal, and make a
recommendation to the WG.

The authors of RFC 4055 and authors of draft-ietf-pkix-ecc-pkalgs should
be excluded from design team membership.

The selected design team should be prepared to make their recommendation
at the PKIX meeting in San Diego (or before on the mail list, which
would be even better).  Then, the PKIX WG can have a straw poll to see
if the design team recommendation is accepted.  Of course, it needs to
be followed up by WG mail list confirmation.

If you are interested to be part of this design team, please send me and
Steve Kent an e-mail no later than Friday next week (October 6).  

Stefan Santesson

Senior Program Manager

Windows Security, Standards