Subject: WGLC on 5 documents

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 13:26:43 -0500

I have been asked (more properly, reminded :-)) by several authors to 
initiate WGLC on documents, so here goes:

	1. 3281 Update: this is an update of the attribute cert 
profile, now at version 03, published on 12/22/08. This seems to be 
non-controversial.

	2. New ASN.1: this is the new ASN.1 modules for PKIX 
document. Version 2 was posted on 1/9/09. The only suggested change I 
have seen on the list recently is that use of these modules be 
optional, not mandatory, i.e., to allow both the 1988 and the 2002 
version of ASN.1 to be considered as equally valid syntaxes.  I have 
not seen a response from the authors on this detail, but that can be 
addressed during last call, e.g., with proposed text to accommodate 
the comment from the two folks who raised the issue.

	3. Authority Clearance Constraints: This document is at 
version 02 and was posted just before the IETF meetings in November. 
The minutes from that meeting said the document appeared to be ready 
for WGLC. I wrote the minutes, so let's do it and see if that 
assertion was correct!

	4.  PRQP: this is an I-D targeted toward experimental status. 
Max posted a new version (02) after the IETF meeting, and I have seen 
no comments on the list, so let's see if we can move forward with 
this one as well.

	5. Trust Anchor Management Requirements: Based on the 
discussion on the list, it seems that there is agreement to NOT 
publish the TA requirements document (ta-mgmt-reqs, version 02) as an 
RFC at this time. Rather, as Stefan suggested, PKIX can keep it 
active as a live document and update it as needed as work progresses 
on the TA format and TAMP documents.  Nonetheless, I would like to 
initiate a WGLC at this time, so that we can determine if we have 
consensus on the requirements statement as of now, even though we 
will NOT YET move it to RFC status.

Let's provide last call comments, if needed, on all 5 of these 
documents over the next two week.  WGLC will end for all of them on 
February 6. Based on the comments received and the responses provided 
by document editors, we'll proceed with each as appropriate.

Steve

P.S.  The November PKIX minutes also said that Stephen Farrell's 
Other Certs I-D would be ready for last call after removal of 
embedded comments. No new version has been posted yet, but when 
Stephen does post the next version, we can move to WGLC on this 
document as well.