Subject: [pkix] PKCS #8 as an RFC

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 16:16:52 +0900

Some may be unaware that PKCS #8 was published as RFC 5208 
(http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5208.txt) and in it RSA transfered change 
control to the IETF.

The following draft updates PKCS#8 to add a CMS content type, a public 
key field, and address some of the comments Pasi raised during his IESG 
review 
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/idtracker/draft-kaliski-pkcs8/comment/80097/):
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-turner-asymmetrickeyformat-02

There's also an algorithm companion document that addresses some more of 
Pasi's comments:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-turner-asymmetrickeyformat-algs-00

Comments are welcome on both.

Also note that http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sip-certs-09 
defines a MIME media type for PKCS#8.

spt

---

From: Peter Gutmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 20:22:52 +1300

Sean Turner <[email-masked]> writes:

>The following draft updates PKCS#8 to add a CMS content type, a public key
>field, and address some of the comments Pasi raised during his IESG review (
>https://datatracker.ietf.org/idtracker/draft-kaliski-pkcs8/comment/80097/):

Shouldn't these also reference (or even use) PKCS #15, which is the updated
form of both PKCS #8 and PKCS #12?  It seems like the PKCS #8 changes are just
a very gradual attempt to move it towards what PKCS #15 has already done for a
decade or so...

Peter.