Subject: [pkix] PKIX review on draft-ietf-pkix-cmp-transport-protocols-14.txt

From: "Peylo, Martin (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 17:05:56 +0300

Dear PKIX working group members,

the content of the "CMPtrans" draft is now quite complete.  The
interested readers will see that it now became quite short,
straightforward and largely reflects the implemented reality.

It would be great if you could review this document and provide feedback
of any kind.

Now the draft describes a way how to transport all CMP messages over
HTTP.  This includes the optional transporting of "CMP Announcements"
which are specified in RFC 4210 but couldn't serve any use at all
before.

Other kinds of transport as e.g. the "TCP-Based Management Protocol" or
high-level mentioning of FTP or email transport were completely removed.
The "TCP-Based" transport is generally considered to be inferior
compared with HTTP and does not provide any advantage.  Description of
transport over other existing protocols is left as future challenge for
those who find the use case. 

<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-pkix-cmp-transport-protocols-14>

Kind regards,
Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
ext [email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:40 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [pkix] I-D Action:
draft-ietf-pkix-cmp-transport-protocols-14.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories. This draft is a work item of the Public-Key Infrastructure
(X.509) Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure --
HTTP Transport for CMP
	Author(s)       : Tomi Kause
                          Martin Peylo
	Filename        : draft-ietf-pkix-cmp-transport-protocols-14.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2011-09-29

   This document describes how to layer the Certificate Management
   Protocol over HTTP.  It is the &quot;CMPtrans&quot; document
referenced in RFC
   4210 and therefore updates the reference given therein.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-cmp-transport-protoc
ols-14.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-cmp-transport-protoco
ls-14.txt
_______________________________________________
pkix mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pkix

---

From: Tomas Gustavsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 21:46:55 +0100

Hi Martin,

I like the new draft. Short, detailed, and without the TCP. I can't find
any problems right now.

I'm not enough expert on http, so I assume that it is ok to include both
"cache control" and "pragma" in all responses, both HTTP 1.0 and 1.1?

I am not 100% sure that EJBCA is completely compliant with the new
draft. It might be, but at least the new draft is clear enough so it
should be easy to create checks in the test suite for all the elements.

Regards,
Tomas Gustavsson
http://www.ejbca.org/
http://www.primekey.se/