Subject: [pkix] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC4211 (4797)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 07:00:59 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC4211,
"Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Certificate Request Message Format (CRMF)".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=4211&eid=4797

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Lijun Liao <[email-masked]>

Section: 4.1

Original Text
-------------
   3.  The certificate subject places its name in the Certificate
       Template structure along with the public key.  In this case the
       poposkInput field is omitted from the POPOSigningKey structure.
       The signature field is computed over the DER-encoded certificate
       template structure.

Corrected Text
--------------
   3.  The certificate subject places its name in the Certificate
       Template structure along with the public key.  In this case the
       poposkInput field is omitted from the POPOSigningKey structure.
       The signature field is computed over the DER-encoded value of
       certReq

Notes
-----
The original text conflicts with the following text block (just several lines later).

"   The fields of POPOSigningKeyInput have the following meaning:

      sender contains an authenticated identity that has been previously
      established for the subject.

      publicKeyMAC contains a computed value that uses a shared secret
      between the CA/RA and the certificate requestor.

      publicKey contains a copy of the public key from the certificate
      template.  This MUST be exactly the same value as is contained in
      the certificate template."

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC4211 (draft-ietf-pkix-rfc2511bis-08)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Certificate Request Message Format (CRMF)
Publication Date    : September 2005
Author(s)           : J. Schaad
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509)
Area                : Security
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG

---

From: Lijun Liao <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 16:16:20 +0200

Just correction:

The Notes should be as follows:
------------------------------------------

The original text conflicts with the following text block (just several
lines later).

"     The fields of POPOSigningKey have the following meaning:

      ...

      signature contains the POP value produce.  If poposkInput is
      present, the signature is computed over the DER-encoded value of
      poposkInput.  If poposkInput is absent, the signature is computed
      over the DER-encoded value of certReq."

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 4:00 PM, RFC Errata System <[email-masked]
> wrote:

-- 
Lijun Liao

---

From: Megan Ferguson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 15:29:37 -0700

Lijun,

We have edited this report to contain your correction in the Notes field as requested.

Thank you.

RFC Editor/mf

On Sep 8, 2016, at 7:16 AM, Lijun Liao <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 4:00 PM, RFC Errata System <[email-masked]> wrote:

---

From: Jim Schaad <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 15:48:34 -0700

I think this is an accept - marked as editorial.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: pkix [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of RFC Errata System
> Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2016 7:01 AM
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
> [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: [pkix] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC4211 (4797)
> 
> The following errata report has been submitted for RFC4211, "Internet
X.509
> Public Key Infrastructure Certificate Request Message Format (CRMF)".
> 
lines later).
> This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please use
"Reply
> All" to discuss whether it should be verified or rejected. When a decision
is
> reached, the verifying party (IESG) can log in to change the status and
edit the
> report, if necessary.
> Title               : Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Certificate
Request
> Message Format (CRMF)
> _______________________________________________
> pkix mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pkix