Subject: [pkix] [Errata Held for Document Update] RFC7030 (5108)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 13:00:37 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been held for document update 
for RFC7030, "Enrollment over Secure Transport". 

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid5108

--------------------------------------
Status: Held for Document Update
Type: Technical

Reported by: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2017-09-07
Held by: Roman Danyliw (IESG)

Section: 4.2.3, 4.4.2

Original Text
-------------
OLD from s.4.2.3:

  If the content-type is not set, the response data MUST be a plaintext
  human-readable error message containing explanatory information
  describing why the request was rejected (for example, indicating that
  CSR attributes are incomplete).

OLD from s4.4.2:

  If the content-type is not set, the response data MUST be a plaintext
  human-readable error message.

Corrected Text
--------------
NEW for s4.2.3:

  If the content-type is not set, the response data must be a plaintext
  human-readable error message containing explanatory information
  describing why the request was rejected (for example, indicating that
  CSR attributes are incomplete).  Servers MAY use the "text/plain”
  content-type [RFC2046] for human-readable errors.

NEW for s4.4.2:

  If the content-type is not set, the response data must be a plaintext
  human-readable error message. Servers MAY use the "text/plain”
  content-type [RFC2046] for human-readable errors.

Notes
-----
The current text is somewhat unclear as to what content-type needs to be used for the human-readable error.  There are many human-readable content-types, but "text/plain" seems to be the most sensible.

Note that the MUST was reduced to a must because no content-type is specified.

--------------------------------------
RFC7030 (draft-ietf-pkix-est-09)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Enrollment over Secure Transport
Publication Date    : October 2013
Author(s)           : M. Pritikin, Ed., P. Yee, Ed., D. Harkins, Ed.
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509)
Area                : Security
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG