Subject: [PMOL] Comment on framework 01

From: Al Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 12:59:06 -0500

Alan,

As we discussed yesterday, please consider this comment as part of the
WG Last Call (message to follow):

Section 3.4.3
...
   (iv) Reporting Model

    The Reporting Model definition is intended to make any relationship
    between the metric and the reporting model clear. There are often
    implied relationships between the method of reporting metrics and the
    metric itself, however these are often not made apparent to the
    implementor. For example, if the metric is a short term running
    average packet delay variation (e.g.  PPDV as defined in RFC3550)
    however this value is reported at intervals of 6-10 seconds
    this results in a sampling model which may have limited accuracy if
    packet delay variation is non-stationary.

I suggest we use the metric name from RFC 3550 to help people find
the reference there, as follows:

    ... For example, if the metric is a short term running
    average source-to-receiver packet spacing difference
    (e.g. D(i,j) as defined in RFC3550), then
    the value is typically reported at intervals of 6-10 seconds.
    This reporting frequency results in a sampling model which
    may have limited accuracy if the inter-packet delay variation
    is non-stationary.

Al

_______________________________________________
PMOL mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pmol