Subject: [PMOL] [ippm] WGLC on pmol-metrics-framework-01

From: "Fardid, Reza" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 11:37:24 -0800

Hi,

I have a number of comments on the PMOL framework draft:

1.1 Since RAQMON is mentioned, adding an Informative reference to its
framework is appropriate.

3.3.2 Since Index is a derived metric, it is best to specify how its
components contribute to its measurement beyond a function definition.
An index composed of N orthogonal metrics all of which are measurable
has more "usefulness" than an index whose measurement is based on a
small subset of these N metrics.

3.4.2 (vi) Does measurement point define the measurement domain? If not,
then measurement domain (intra-, inter-) is another factor to consider.
Security restrictions may prevent inter-domain measurement of certain
metrics.

3.4.3 Are both active and passive measurement types within scope? If so,
then measurement type is another factor to consider.

3.5 Some metrics and their measurements may be affected by middleboxes.
I can think of the following:

3.5.3 Middlebox presence

Presence of a middlebox, e.g., proxy, NAT, redirect server, session
border controller (SBC), and application layer gateway (ALG) may add
variability to or restrict the scope of measurements of a metric.  For
example, an SBC that does not process RTP loopback packets may block or
locally terminate this traffic rather then pass it through to its
target.

Thanks,
Reza Fardid

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Al Morton
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 7:11 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [ippm] WGLC on pmol-metrics-framework-01

PMOL WG,
cc IPPM and BMWG WGs,

This message begins a WG Last Call on the following draft:

        Title           : Framework for Performance Metric Development
	Author(s)       : A. Clark
	Filename        : draft-ietf-pmol-metrics-framework-01.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2008-11-02

This memo describes a framework and guidelines for the development of
performance metrics that are beyond the scope of existing working
group charters in the IETF.  In this version, the memo refers to a
Performance Metrics Entity, or PM Entity, which may in future be a
working group or directorate or a combination of these two.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pmol-metrics-framework-01
.txt

There has been discussion of this draft for over a year,
mostly on the PMOL list and at meetings.  The Author believes he
has addressed all comments to date.

Please weigh-in on whether or not this Draft should be forwarded
to the Area Directors for publication as a Standards Track RFC.
Send your comments to the PMOL list or the co-chairs.

The Last Call will be open till January 2, 2009.

thanks for your review and comments,
Al Morton
co-chair, PMOL WG

_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm
_______________________________________________
PMOL mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pmol