Subject: [PMOL] Protocol Action: 'Basic Telephony SIP End-to-End Performance Metrics' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 07:22:01 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Basic Telephony SIP End-to-End Performance Metrics '
   <draft-ietf-pmol-sip-perf-metrics-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Performance Metrics for Other Layers Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Dan Romascanu and Ron Bonica.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pmol-sip-perf-metrics-07.txt

Technical Summary

    SIP has become a widely-used standard among many service providers,
    vendors, and end users.  Although there are many different standards
    for measuring the performance of signaling protocols, none of them
    specifically address SIP.

    The scope of this document is limited to the definitions of a
    standard set of metrics for measuring and reporting SIP performance
    from an end-to-end perspective.  The metrics introduce a common
    foundation for understanding and quantifying performance expectations
    between service providers, vendors, and the users of services based
    on SIP.  The intended audience for this document can be found among
    network operators, who often collect information on the
    responsiveness of the network to customer requests for services.

Working Group Summary

   Working Group Consensus was smoothly achieved.

Document Quality

   There are several implementations of earlier versions of the I-D,
   based on contacts with the authors.  

   The document was reviewed by the SIPPING WG. 

   The Contributors and Acknowledgements sections list many of the    
   reviewers who deserve mention: Carol Davids, Marian Delkinov, Adam 
   Uzelac, Jean-Francois Mule, Rich Terpstra, John Hearty and Dean 
   Bayless.

Personnel

   Vijay Gurbany is the document shepherd. Dan Romanscanu is the 
   shepherding AD.