Subject: Policy List Management

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 19:25:58 -0500

The following is being forwarded to the policy mailing list.
Message originally sent by Ed Ellesson <[email-masked]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone, 

There have been a number of complaints about the way our majordomo
populates the "From:" field on this list.  Sorry for the inconvenience.  We
are working on a solution.  To those of you who made suggestions regarding
how to solve the problem, thank you.

We will either get the necessary changes made quickly,  or move the list to
a different server.  

If you care about what we are doing to fix the problem, please keep
reading.  Otherwise, please ignore the rest of this note and I will let you
know when we have solved the problem. 

Today, we finally managed to track down who we think did the original
modifications to the majordomo code on our server, to have it work the way
it does, which is, of course, unlike any other majordomo that anyone on
this list has ever encountered.   These changes were made a number of years
ago to meet a specific need, and the individual who did them is now in an
entirely different job.  It appears that the modifications were
customizations done to the majordomo code, and were not done through the
majordomo config file which I can manipulate as list owner.  The individual
who we think did the modifications has some ideas about where in the code
the changes were made, but it will take a few days more to allocate the
time of a person in the group that maintains our maillist server to find
the changes and reverse them.   Some of the people who could do this
investigation are out of the office until Monday, Nov. 6, but I should know
more then regarding how long it will take to get the necessary fix
completed.     

I'm telling you all this to convince you that we are indeed taking your
complaints seriously, and we will get this fixed quickly, one way or the
other.  

Regards, 

Ed Ellesson
Sr. Engineer, TCP/IP Technology Management
IBM Networking Software Products
Research Triangle Park, NC 
[email-masked]
919-254-4115