Subject: Possible extension to DayOfMonthMask property / attribute

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 10:49:19 -0400

I just bumped into something that might be of use to us in the
Core Policy model.  In RFC 2591, the DISMAN-SCHEDULE-MIB, there's
the following object for handling days of the month:

 schedDay OBJECT-TYPE
        SYNTAX      BITS {
                        d1(0),   d2(1),   d3(2),   d4(3),   d5(4),
                        d6(5),   d7(6),   d8(7),   d9(8),   d10(9),
                        d11(10), d12(11), d13(12), d14(13), d15(14),
                        d16(15), d17(16), d18(17), d19(18), d20(19),
                        d21(20), d22(21), d23(22), d24(23), d25(24),
                        d26(25), d27(26), d28(27), d29(28), d30(29),
                        d31(30),
                        r1(31),  r2(32),  r3(33),  r4(34),  r5(35),
                        r6(36),  r7(37),  r8(38),  r9(39),  r10(40),
                        r11(41), r12(42), r13(43), r14(44), r15(45),
                        r16(46), r17(47), r18(48), r19(49), r20(50),
                        r21(51), r22(52), r23(53), r24(54), r25(55),
                        r26(56), r27(57), r28(58), r29(59), r30(60),
                        r31(61)
                    }
        MAX-ACCESS  read-create
        STATUS      current
        DESCRIPTION
            "The set of days in a month on which a scheduled action
             should take place. There are two sets of bits one can
             use to define the day within a month:

             Enumerations starting with the letter 'd' indicate a
             day in a month relative to the first day of a month.
             The first day of the month can therefore be specified
             by setting the bit d1(0) and d31(30) means the last
             day of a month with 31 days.

             Enumerations starting with the letter 'r' indicate a
             day in a month in reverse order, relative to the last
             day of a month. The last day in the month can therefore
             be specified by setting the bit r1(31) and r31(61) means
             the first day of a month with 31 days.

             Setting multiple bits will include several days in the set
             of possible days for this schedule. Setting all bits will
             cause the scheduler to ignore the day within a month.
             Setting all bits starting with the letter 'd' or the
             letter 'r' will also cause the scheduler to ignore the
             day within a month."
        DEFVAL { {} }
        ::= { schedEntry 7 }

If we added the 'r' bits to our DayOfMonthMask property / attribute,
then we could handle the case from Hugh's Requirements draft,
of a policy that's supposed to be active on the last day of the month.

So, I'll propose that we add these 'r' bits to the DayOfMonthMask
property that's currently specified in
draft-ietf-policy-core-info-model-01.txt.  If we do this, it will
have the effect of changing DayOfMonthMask from a 31-octet ASCII
representation of a 31-bit BitString to a 62-octet ASCII
representation of a 62-bit BitString.

Any reactions (pro or con) to making this change?

Regards,
Bob

Bob Moore
IBM Networking Software
+1-919-254-4436
[email-masked]

PS:  An interesting bit of background:  the 'r' bits are in this
definition because I proposed them as part of my MIB review for
Bert.  But I had completely forgotten about them when we started
our modeling work for Policy.  Oh well....

---

From: "Glenn Waters" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 13:44:54 -0400

i like it.

/gww

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of [email-masked]
> Sent: Friday, October 08, 1999 10:49
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Possible extension to DayOfMonthMask property / attribute
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
>

---

From: Hugh Mahon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 12:37:41 -0600 (MDT)

Hi Bob,

        I've talked with many customers (the people who will use this 
stuff!) and they often cite policies that do things on the last N days 
of the month as something they want to have.

        Since your proposal addresses this customer input, I think it 
qualifies as a Good Thing.

        I would like to see it included.

Thanks,

Hugh