Subject: [Policy] Fw: DMTF Release Process

From: "Lee Rafalow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 14:57:50 -0400

> For those interested, the DMTF has updated its document release policies
to
> facilitate IETF collaboration and enable normative references by stating
> that: documents may be shared during development when the DMTF is
> collaborating with other organizations; and final standards documents are
> immutable and permanently available to the public on the DMTF web site.
>
> See http://www.dmtf.org/download/policies/releaseprocess.pdf
>
>
> Lee M. Rafalow
> Voice: 1-919-254-4455, Fax: 1-919-254-6243
> IBM Internet Technology Management
> IBM Corporation
> P.O. Box 12195, BRQA/502
> RTP, NC 27709 USA
> Alternate email: [email-masked]
> Personal email: [email-masked]
>

_______________________________________________
Policy mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/policy

---

From: "John Strassner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 09:38:13 -0700

I'm confused. Your words are great, but this document doesn't match your
words. Specifically:

  - it does not say that "final standards documents are...
    permanently available to the public on the DMTF web site".
  - it does not specify the address of which of the DMTF web
    sites the documents can be found

Furthermore, I fail to see how this helps. Both of the referenced DMTF
drafts are NOT final standards. The DSP0100.doc spec has no marking on it,
other than a footer which says "This is a draft specification and subject
to revision", which is hardly ready to be used as a normative reference.
The DSP0123.pdf spec is marked "Preliminary", but has a date of June 5,
2001. This means that its minimum 3 month review period has expired. But
in searching the web site, I couldn't find any reference saying whether
this was approved and going to Final Standard, or needed more work.
Finally, I was surprised that the memo you forwarded did not specify the
web site addresses that these specs could be found at.

Even more disconcerting is the fact that your immutability claim is ONLY
covered for Final Standard. Both of the referenced documents are not Final
Standards, and need at least another 3 months for Preliminary Review plus
some undefined period to achieve Final Standard status. Therefore, there
is no guarantee that these documents can in fact
be referenced normatively. Plus, whatever happened to implementation
experience? It is referred to, but is NOT required.

After waiting for almost two months for this non-event, I now think that
we should make the references non-normative.

John

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Lee Rafalow
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2001 11:58 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Policy] Fw: DMTF Release Process

to