Subject: [Policy] reuse of rfc2307

From: "Pana, Mircea" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:47:55 -0500

David,
 
While being in favor of LDAP schema reuse, I believe that in PCELS we can
not re-use items defined by RFC2307 for two reasons:
1. different syntaxes and semantics
(e.g. in rfc2307 ipServicePort is a single-values integer, while in PCELS
the Port variables are associated with a list of string representations of
integers or integer ranges as recommended by PCIMe)
2. the intended category for PCELS is "standards track" while rfc2307 is
"experimental".
 
However, there is nothing that stops implementations from taking advantage
of both PCELS and RFC2307.
 
Regards,
Mircea.

You said in an earlier message:
Also, it would be nice to see some effort go into re-using existing IETF
standardized LDAP "attributes", like labelledURI and ipServicePort (defined
in RFC2307). I believe that interdependence on existing standards only
solidifies the reason for existence of both standards.